• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1996 Dodge 1500 - Looking for MPG's

• Owner

Ok Gang...

I'm now trading hats and becoming a 5.9L V8 owner. So I figured it time to get get the other truck running just as good as the 02 Cummins.

Ok history I've got 144K on the clock.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As for wondering about the mainfold... I know I got to fix it...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Another thing I found was testing the MAP sensor. I hooked up a vacuum gauge and it showing the typical 16-17 in of mercury like usual. But the ScanGauge II is showing the MAP sensor having 1.6 PSIa which is like 26 inches of mercury. So I'm assuming the MAP sensor is screwed...

Coffee break is over time to get back out and snoop!

• Owner

is that a carborator? i cant remember how long its been since i had one much less had to spell it.

No carburetor... 5.9L V8 Fuel Injected. That you looking through the throttle body into the manifold below at the plenum that has ruptured gasket. After going to other site and finding there is a fix by Hughes Engine for the plenum which is $119 buck but over at RockAuto.com I can get way more for $30 bucks... http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2194496 Compared to Hughes... http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?partid=26190

How to get better mileage? Only drive it down hill, then tow it back up hill with the truck. :2cents: Don't drive it. :lmao:

That don't wash with me... When I bought this truck back in 2002 it was keeping 16.1 MPG and now has slumped off to a bare minimum of 10-11 MPG which is just freaking worthless. There is no since in letting another vehicle waste away when the repairs for it are rather simple. Time consuming but simple. As a matter of fact this will fix the coolant leak its got at the lead edge of the passenger side of the intake manifold. :thumb1: Working on engine doesn't bother me if its gasoline power or diesel powered I'll work on either one...

well it looked like a carb in the picture. my wifes dadota has a throttle body but it is set up much differantly than yours. it is a 4.7 and averages maybe 14 in town and 18.5 on the highway. she is only 4-10 but her right foot is as big as mine. i will be interested in wher this takes us.

You might be able to get a programmer for it. This might help.Also, try resetting/tightening the bands in the trans.Get a better air filter system.Full synthetics all around.Check the brakes for dragging.Test compression, see if they are within 15% of each other.Possibly do a leak down test to see if it is leaking past the rings or valves.

• Owner

You might be able to get a programmer for it. This might help. Also, try resetting/tightening the bands in the trans. Get a better air filter system. Full synthetics all around. Check the brakes for dragging. Test compression, see if they are within 15% of each other. Possibly do a leak down test to see if it is leaking past the rings or valves.

As for a pergrammer I've already got a Mopar Performance PCM. As for the trans bands I got a trade with a friend to have him come down and adjust the bands. As for air filter I'm going to have to hold for now... Synthetics... You know I'm not a big fan of them...:rolleyes: But I'm going to use a slightly light grade oil for this truck like 5w-30 or 10w-30 compared to 10w-40 that's in it now... Brakes have been checked just about a month ago and in good shape. Also adjusted the slack in the rear drums. I'm going to re-do the compression test today. As for vacuum 16 inHg at idle and steady. Good snap and return of vacuum as well. Most likely improve with the manifold gasket change too. Just done a run down the road watching the MAP sensor value and it fried for sure. Coasting showing 1.7 PSIa and WOT 1.1 PSIa so the MAP sensor is screwing up the fuel and timing for the engine.

• Owner

Yeah! :hyper:My parts came today finally... I got started on ripping down the truck and getting the manifold yanked off. Got all the new gaskets to seal it up right this time. Also I should of have the camera went me but didn't, but the plenum gasket was blown out of the plate and for sure leaking. I desided to take a moment and come in and warm up a bit and get a cup of coffee. So I'm reporting in on what I'm up to... I'll grab the camera and haul it out with me... :duh:More to come...

• Owner

Well I got that project done... I didn't shoot as many pictures as I would of liked but I was focused on completing the job more so. After I completed it ran so much better. Very smooth idle and very quiet engine compared to before. Took it for a little test drive and wow it really does pull much stronger and even the ScanGauge II shows a slight improvement in the MPG's. The O2 sensor isn't wandering all over like it was before fighting that massive vacuum leak under the manifold.

I've had problems for a long time for P0306 error code and some times it was bad and other well it would disappear...

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/185-P0306-Error-code-answers...

Now I know I got it fixed... :smart:

• Staff

On several gas rigs over the years the only thing that really upped the mileage was a full header system and hi-flow exhaust on my dads 454 burb. The 454 and older 350's were chipped, good intake, etc and nothing made the difference the headers did on the burb. It went from 11 highway to 13-14. I would pull the injectors and have them sonically cleaned at an injector shop, did wonders for some gas injectors on my old Toyota at 150K (with regular injector cleaner in the tank too)Next best mod is a 4BT swap.

• Owner

Well... Another tidbit... I got the trans fluid change, fresh fluid, filter and the bands adjusted.As for the exhuast system it completely gutted out the kitty is missing in action. So that's a step in the right direction. As for the kitty it broke loose a few years back and was sliding around in the can so I gave it some help with a few small holes and a screw driver... :lol:

• Owner

Ok... A bit of update to my 96 thread...I've been short trip running the truck mostly back and forth to a friends house a few miles away and into Riggins, ID to pick up propane. But I'm happy to report it runs better but as for MPG's I really can't report much right now because of the weather and short trips its pulled the ScanGauge down to about 13-14 at best. But I know the MPG's can be much better but weather and trip distance is a factor.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know about the 5.9 but I have a much older 1994 3.9 magnum. If the distributor gets out of sync as they do with old age it will throw the fuel timing for a loop. There is a sensor connector on the back. Some avid diyers will look for the 0v to 5v crossing with either a multimeter or oscilloscope. However the appropriate way to set them is via a Chrysler DRB scan tool or a Snap On equivalent.In my case the timing chain has also developed severe slack twice. Turns out mother mopar had to lower the camshaft bore slightly to make room for roller lifters and decided to keep the same chain. With a new chain this is not even noticeable but within 20-40k miles the chain will have significant slack that is quite loud at idle. They released a chain tensioner kit to improve the life of the chains by lessening the impacts on the links.

• Owner

Yeah there is a post here about the 3.9L cam chain problem too. I know the 5.9L doesn't have that particular problem but it would be worth looking at the condition of the cam chain.But since I done the plenum gasket and got it done it runs a whole lot better but the MPG's around here short tripping and with the cold is about 12-14 MPG at best. :rolleyes: But with diesel at $4.499 and gas at $3.629 I drive a gaser...

Yeah there is a post here about the 3.9L cam chain problem too. I know the 5.9L doesn't have that particular problem but it would be worth looking at the condition of the cam chain.

But since I done the plenum gasket and got it done it runs a whole lot better but the MPG's around here short tripping and with the cold is about 12-14 MPG at best. :rolleyes: But with diesel at $4.499 and gas at $3.629 I drive a gaser...

Think again..

Posted Image