• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have a comp but would like to try a smarty someday. I usually run my comp on 2x5 for best mileage and with my 7x.010, its really got all the power I need too.

Smart is cool for a 65hp programmer - way better than anything else out there - and customizations - but it's not as good as a comp for pure hp. Your not missing too much there - it's just awesome for the other stuff and stacking - guess what I mean is font sell your comp for a smarty - as good as it is

ill say the advantage of the smarty is how fast and hard the fuel comes down low.you will slip a stock trans on level 9, and not try. it fuels hard from 1,200-2,000 rpm's and it kicks hard.:thumbup2:this is why its a killer towing programmer.

ill say the advantage of the smarty is how fast and hard the fuel comes down low. you will slip a stock trans on level 9, and not try. it fuels hard from 1,200-2,000 rpm's and it kicks hard.:thumbup2: this is why its a killer towing programmer.

Which is why I got mine as one of my first upgrades. :) It really made my truck act like a gas engine off the line. Almost instant throttle response. However I started with an HY. so I basically had boost at idle. :lmao:

Which is why I got mine as one of my first upgrades. :) It really made my truck act like a gas engine off the line. Almost instant throttle response. However I started with an HY. so I basically had boost at idle. :lmao:

I don't know, so what is the difference between a HX & an HY?

I don't know, so what is the difference between a HX & an HY?

Smaller compressor and exhuast housing - spools quicker but flows less air and reaches end of map sooner. Personally I liked my hy and didnt see a large difference until I went to a 60cm compressor

And to add. the HY's came on autos. the HX on manual trucks. Cant remember the HX but the HY is a 9cm2 exh housing.

HY's were only on 2000 and up automatics. HX's were on the auto's in 98.5-2000 models. The HX is 12cm2 rather the HY is 9cm2

The HY's wastegate was frozen on my truck when I bought it, when I replace it I ended up with an HX. I know it is larger, however I couldn't tell the difference between the two in power or MPG.

Mine is is stuck closed. I think Mike did the same on his. HX, HY is really no difference than I take it?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I set the Smarty on level 3 for a tank full. Fuel economy went from 16.6 to 17.7, (hand calculated). It got 17.6 stock. More power and more responsive. Overhead computer said I was getting 20.5 mpg. I filled up and set it on level 4. I have ran about 100 miles at this level. It might just be me but it doesn't seem quite as peppy at this level but it still runs better than stock. The overhead is reading about 15 mpg. The truck's MPG computer was dead on accurate before the Smarty, not anymore with it. I will let you know what happens at the next fill up.

• 1 month later...

Well I set the Smarty on level 3 for a tank full. Fuel economy went from 16.6 to 17.7, (hand calculated). It got 17.6 stock. More power and more responsive. Overhead computer said I was getting 20.5 mpg. I filled up and set it on level 4. I have ran about 100 miles at this level. It might just be me but it doesn't seem quite as peppy at this level but it still runs better than stock. The overhead is reading about 15 mpg. The truck's MPG computer was dead on accurate before the Smarty, not anymore with it. I will let you know what happens at the next fill up.

Level 4 utulizes stock timing as do all the even numbers. You will do better to stick with the odd numbers when experimenting with settings. There should be a brief explanation of the settings on the back of your programmer(at least mine did).