• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

CLuster Issue Help!!

Ok so as I was driving tonight I turned on my headlights and a sec or two later all of a sudden my speedometer dropped and then the abs light came on then the fuel light and air bag and engine light. The mileage says "no bus" and the overhead console says "CCd" I do have HIDs but ive had them for almost a month now. First time im having this issue. Ive disconnected the batt and still nothing. The truck runs fine. FP is same and egts normal. No issues with driveability. Just the gauges dont show anything and the lights are displayed when driving or when just turn key to on position.

Ok got an update. Someone told me to pull out the cluster and clean the connections. So i went out and pulled it and installed it a few times. Well the gauges and ccd and no bus are gone but now have engine, abs and brake lights on. WHAT IS GOING ON??:ahhh:This is what they mean by electrical problems. :doh:

Ok had batt disconnected all night and hooked up this morning, well once I started to drive the abs and brake light went off but engine light still on. Read the codes, 1698 & 0381. So now what. the 381 says heater/glow plugs. Well we dont have glow plugs and I did take the heater out but a while back. So what is next. I erased the codes and going for a long drive for a meeting so well see if lights come back on.

• Owner

P0381 - Wait To Start Lamp Inoperative

Problem detected in wait-to-start bulb circuit.

Monitor & Set Conditions

WAIT-TO-START light is monitored when ignition is on. DTC may be stored when WAIT-TO-START light

does not come on within 2 seconds after ignition is turned on.

Possible Causes

[*] WAIT-TO-START Light Stays On All The Time

[*] WAIT-TO-START Light Driver Circuit Shorted To Ground

[*] WAIT-TO-START Light Circuit Open From ECM To Cluster

[*] Fused Ignition Switch Output Circuit Open

[*] WAIT-TO-START Light Bulb

[*] ECM Driver Circuit Open

[*] Wiring/Connector Problem

[*] ECM

Testing

1. Ensure ignition is off. While monitoring WAIT-TO-START light operation, turn ignition on with engine

off. WAIT-TO-START light is located on instrument cluster, directly below the speedometer and

CHECK GAGES light. If WAIT TO START light illuminates, go to next step. If WAIT TO START light

does not illuminate, go to step 4 .

2. Turn ignition off. While monitoring WAIT-TO- START light operation, turn ignition on with engine off.

If WAIT-TO-START light stays on all the time, go to next step. If WAIT-TO- START light illuminates

and then goes off, WAIT-TO-START light is operating properly. Test is complete.

3. Turn ignition off. Disconnect ECM harness connector. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in

front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-pin connector. Check for poor connection/terminal contact

at ECM harness connector. Repair as necessary. While monitoring WAIT-TO-START light operation,

turn ignition on with engine off. If WAIT-TO-START light illuminates, repair short to ground in

Orange/Black wire between ECM and WAIT-TO-START light. If WAIT-TO- START light does not

illuminate, replace and program ECM. See appropriate REMOVAL, OVERHAUL & INSTALLATION

article.

4. Turn ignition off. Disconnect ECM harness connector. ECM is located on driver's side of engine, just in

front of fuel transfer pump and contains a 50-pin connector. Check for poor connection/terminal contact

at ECM harness connector. Repair as necessary. Connect a jumper wire between ground and terminal No.

37 (Orange/Black wire) on ECM harness connector. Turn ignition on with engine off and note operation

of WAIT-TO-START light. If WAIT-TO-START light illuminates, go to next step. If WAIT-TO-START

light does not illuminate, repair open in Orange/Black wire between ECM and WAIT-TO-START light.

5. Turn ignition off. Ensure ECM harness connector is still disconnected. Remove instrument cluster. See

appropriate ANALOG INSTRUMENT PANELS article in ACCESSORIES & EQUIPMENT. Note

location of connectors C1 and C2 on instrument cluster. Turn ignition on with engine off. Connect a test

light between ground and terminal No. 2 (Dark Blue/White wire) on connector C1 for instrument cluster.

If test light illuminates brightly, go to next step. If test light does not illuminate brightly, repair open in

fused ignition switch circuit to WAIT-TO-START light.

6. Turn ignition off. Inspect WAIT-TO-START light bulb. If light bulb is okay, go to next step. If light bulb

is defective, replace light bulb.

7. Ensure ignition is off and ECM harness connector is still disconnected. Reinstall connectors on

instrument cluster. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using DVOM, measure voltage at terminal No. 37

(Orange/Black wire) on ECM harness connector. If voltage is 10 volts or less, go to next step. If voltage

is greater than 10 volts, replace and program ECM. See appropriate REMOVAL, OVERHAUL &

INSTALLATION article.

8. Check for intermittent problem in wiring for WAIT-TO-START light between ECM, instrument cluster,

fuse No. 17 and ignition switch. Repair as necessary.

:2cents: About a month ago pulled cluster to reroute egt wiring, while cluster was out turned key on to test a light. Put everything back together and got same code. Cleared code with ScangaugeII light went away. Try clearing code then see what happens.