• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Air filters Pre-Filters

anoldbiker

I have read and heard of people using pre-filters on their air cleaners. But have yet to fine anything in forums. I travel cross country each year and have been in very dirty environments. Like my trip last year. I drove through Texas, New Mexico and a part of Arizona ... when somewhere in Texas was on fire and the farmers were plowing for their planting. The debris in my air cleaner was black and mostly blocked it. I have a reusable filter and all I did was take the time to clean it and on the road again. If it was paper, I would be changing it out each time it was plugged, until I was out of the area. It was bad on I40 then.Has anyone used a pre-filter before ?If so, what was your conclusion of it's effectiveness ?

Sorry, but that video was crystal clear. I was in areas that you felt lucky you could see 200 feet ahead of you. (next time I'll have my video camera with me). There was the fire, farmers plowing and heavy winds.There was one stop we did for about 2 hours to see if the visibility would open, it didn't, so we spent the night at a motel.

Yeah, they're pricey; but mine has lasted for at least 5 years. You could use your wifes or significant others pantyhose (can be crotchless, as only the leg part is used) but still these Outerwears fit better and are much, much tougher. They're probably a fair bit tighter in the weave so that is stops more dirt also.

• Staff

What washable filter were you using?Many of the washable filters hold far less than the OEM 4" filter(540 gr), and nothing filters as good as OEM either. I do lots of dusty driving and have a home depot CAI that sucks air in from only a foot or so off the ground and have no issues.

As in my sig., I have the Banks with their reusable filter. I've heard pros and cons on them and the K&N style filters, but after 400k on another truck with no issues at all, I've my own opinion on them. Never had a pre-filter. I've had back and forth opinions on them. Wondered what others who actually have them, thought of them.

i ran a k&n and the banks filter that came with the stinger plus for 8 years. when it came time for cleaning i took one out and replaced it with the other so i could clean the dirty one. the one thing i never did was aggresivly clean the dirty one. always soaked it real well and rinsed it with the hose and no nozzle just water flow. as far as i know it always did a good job. after hearing alot of things here and elsewhere i decided to change over to a dry filter. i think in the end i am going to like that better. time will tell.one draw back i have seen is oil in the intake system. i have it in the turbo which wiped right out. i will have to take the turbo off to see what is beyond the impellar blades. the tubing leading to and away from the inter cooler are clean, but i did notice the same residue inside the intake manifold. a sticky but very thin layer as far as i can see and reach with the intake horn off. it does make me wonder how much of this is in the inter cooler. kind of wierd i dont see it in the piping anywhere.

I've cleaned mine about the same way. I have noticed the tube from the air filter housing to the turbo was clean of oil. But I have taken off this tubing and have not seen oil or debris in or on the blades. I follow the instructions, but sparingly with the oil. There was two things I noticed with those who had oil in the turbo, they tend to over oil or not allow the filter to dry enough. Sounds like you let it dry enough, how about the amount of oil ? If there was any oil in my system, the filter system would be off and gone, that's why I still have them.

i am probably on of the over oilers. if there was any doubt to whether there was enough it just put on some more. thats probably why i have the residue. my thoght process was as long as it is catching the dirt no harm not foul. though it does make me wonder about the intercooler. at least i feel i have kept dirt from the engine.my wife had her oil changed on the road once and they cleaned her k&n for her. she explained to me the tech had said i was not doing a goood enogh job and cleanded it with compressed air. my wife really enjoyed pointing out how wrong i was in my cleaning process. compressed air is about the last thing one of these filters needs to see. it was replaced sohortly with a dry filter.i amj not sure that this residue is a bad thing unless it helps clog the intercooler which aint good. one day maybe i will take it out and see.bottom line for me, the dry filter BHAF, i feel it will be better in the long run. with the cost of recharge packs for the k&n it is going to equal out in cost.

I just ordered an outerwear for my bhaf and hopefully it comes in today. I will post back in a few months on my findings.

This is what I have been using on my truck for about 5 years.......the SAME BHAF and prefilter running strong and the combination of the BHAF and Outerware prefilter has worked great. The elastic has long ago pooped out but the prefilter is still doing its job and blocks a LOT of dirty and other contaminants that would otherwise get on the BHAF filter. I am very pleased with mine and highly recommend them. :thumb1:
  • Like 1