• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

HOw to not change a turbo out in 18 hours

ok - heres the SHORT version. Was trading out my s-hx40 to a he351cw with a new(used) pdi manifold. Started Saturday 11am .... Finished Monday morning 10am. :banghead:First turbo and manifold off in around 2 hours. Bolted new manifold on - and then go to attach turbo - realize it has 4 threaded holes. Two of the threads on turbo are studs - so I * think* i need to drill out two of the holes. Try my hand12v drill - no dice. Find of a neighbor a power drill - and no dice. So I take the manifold and all gaskets back off - no dice. So after thinking for a while walk up to store and grab a manual cylinder/pick file. 2 hours of manual filing against hardened steel and small back motion to not damage my nice new manifold and I can get the studs through - end of day 1.Sunday get the manifold back on and load the turbo up. Threads on. I have to really TORQUE down the studs though to get flush to manifold. Go to think about my IC and oil - they are not aligned right - oh yeah I need to clock it. Oh wait - I can't get the turbo off the manifold as its SO tight now with the studs. Of with manifold and turbo together. Now on the ground - big snap ring - have some oreilly snapring pliers - they bust. Up to store and get an ACE pair. No good. Back to gas station and borrow some heav duty bent pliers - no good I can compress it but cant get it out. Call my neighbor and both of us with 4 screwdrivers pry it ou by force. This around 3 HOURS just on the snap ring. Clock everything and then try to get it back in. Cant. So get my neighbor back and with a bit of each others blood we get it back in with the original snap pliers. Manifold and gaskets and turbo all back on truck. Its now getting dark. Drain feed for turbo oil wont align - its just ever so slightly out - bed - Im beat.Monday morning 6am - I pull the drain tube - and cut off the bottom 1" where it joins block to shorten it. I bolt to turbo and reconnect to block - all good. Get everything tightened down as hard as I can as all gaskets have been on and off around 4-5 times ....... its now 9am. Start her up - I see oil/smoke comming from cartridge in center. hmm.Tighten everything up further .. seems to help a little and I drive it for 5 miles and pull over. Oil on back of turbo compressor - looks like its comming from CIRCLIP but hard to tell and smoke (burning oil). Halfway to work and not a lot of choice - everything else seems ok so drive to work. Pull over - no oil and no smoke. So who the herman knows ..... :lmao: All I can say is glad thats over (for now).Will be monitoring IC and exahust for oil for next day or two before I get on it.to be continued .......

yeah turbos aren't my cup of tee.........getting em off is never the issue - fitment, snaprings and alignment on exhuast flange always kills me - never seems to be straight deal - lmao - oh wellWill update in a day or two ..... chasing a boost leak now ......