Oil pan removal

How do I get the oil pan off my truck? The gasket has been leaking for a while and it's made a serious mess under there:duh: So I loosened the engine mounts and lifted the front of the engine as high as it would go. Still not enough clearance underneath to slide the pan out. What do I need to do to get it done?

Thanks guys! Another problem I have is getting it to clear the bell housing but hopefully it'll do that when I can get the engine lifted the 3 inches. Any thoughts on what I need to remove/disassemble to get it lifted that far?

Just loosen the motor mount bolts and put a jack under the dampner and raise it until the bolts are to the top of the motor mount slots where the mount flares out a bit. No need to go any higher. I have done several this way with no issues.

Well I got the pan out and cleaned up. Now I'm wondering what is the best way to install the new gasket? I'm thinking I should fasten it to the block with some silicone but not sure if this is a good idea. Also wondering what the torque specs are for the main bearings. I pulled one to check for wear.

I dont use a gasket. I droped my pan and used permatex "right stuff" It has been a few years no leaks.

I like that idea but how did you do the balancing act of holding the pan up there, getting the oil pick-up tube in place and tightened, then mounting the pan without getting it smeared everywhere? That looks like the most daunting part to me:doh:

It hung there and i put the oil pick up on the front then put just a bit more on the part my hand rubed off. The best part of all,get this, i had 4 bolts in then the wife runs out because she seen a report of severe weather on tv. (Now remember i am out side i have a cherry picker holding up the engine.) So i totally blow her off ,she has overreacted with the weather in the past. Not this time :doh: so i am putting bolts in and it starts to rain. I am thinking hey no big deal i am under the truck. It starts to rain really hard. With the way my body was positioned under the truck i was on my back. My feet to the front of the engine. So the rain started to drip off my truck. The first place it dripped was on my crotch :stuned: then the ground was soaked along with my back. I rushed to get all the bolts in and down. Then i see a yellowish flash to my left it was dark out and it was a brite flash along with a big crack. then we lost power for 12 hrs because that flash was a transformer exploding.So now i am thinking i am wet ,i have a cherrypicker lightning rod sticking out of my truck. So now i am in panic mode.:pray: I start lowering the hoist at this time my wife runs out ,also in panic mode. She starts to say h,h,how can i help? Mind you we are in a downpour. I say help me get these tools in the garage. We both start frantically kicking the tools in the garage. It took a few days to find all them sockets.So thats the time i changed the oil pan.:rolleyes: Needless to say i know listen to the wife when she says it looks like rain:lmao2:

I pulled my oil pan off about a year ago and I was able to use a cherry picker and leave the oil pickup on. I loosened the engine mount bolts disconnected the intercooler plumbing and removed the fan and shroud and the oil pan came right out. I used a new gasket with some ultra black RTV and I believe the torque in the oil pan bolts was 25 foot pounds. Which I think is too much because the gasket started to squeeze out. I recommended just using Ultra Black RTV and just use the old German torque. Good luck.