• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil pan removal

How do I get the oil pan off my truck? The gasket has been leaking for a while and it's made a serious mess under there:duh: So I loosened the engine mounts and lifted the front of the engine as high as it would go. Still not enough clearance underneath to slide the pan out. What do I need to do to get it done?

Thanks guys! Another problem I have is getting it to clear the bell housing but hopefully it'll do that when I can get the engine lifted the 3 inches. Any thoughts on what I need to remove/disassemble to get it lifted that far?

Just loosen the motor mount bolts and put a jack under the dampner and raise it until the bolts are to the top of the motor mount slots where the mount flares out a bit. No need to go any higher. I have done several this way with no issues.

Well I got the pan out and cleaned up. Now I'm wondering what is the best way to install the new gasket? I'm thinking I should fasten it to the block with some silicone but not sure if this is a good idea. Also wondering what the torque specs are for the main bearings. I pulled one to check for wear.

I dont use a gasket. I droped my pan and used permatex "right stuff" It has been a few years no leaks.

I like that idea but how did you do the balancing act of holding the pan up there, getting the oil pick-up tube in place and tightened, then mounting the pan without getting it smeared everywhere? That looks like the most daunting part to me:doh:

It hung there and i put the oil pick up on the front then put just a bit more on the part my hand rubed off. The best part of all,get this, i had 4 bolts in then the wife runs out because she seen a report of severe weather on tv. (Now remember i am out side i have a cherry picker holding up the engine.) So i totally blow her off ,she has overreacted with the weather in the past. Not this time :doh: so i am putting bolts in and it starts to rain. I am thinking hey no big deal i am under the truck. It starts to rain really hard. With the way my body was positioned under the truck i was on my back. My feet to the front of the engine. So the rain started to drip off my truck. The first place it dripped was on my crotch :stuned: then the ground was soaked along with my back. I rushed to get all the bolts in and down. Then i see a yellowish flash to my left it was dark out and it was a brite flash along with a big crack. then we lost power for 12 hrs because that flash was a transformer exploding.So now i am thinking i am wet ,i have a cherrypicker lightning rod sticking out of my truck. So now i am in panic mode.:pray: I start lowering the hoist at this time my wife runs out ,also in panic mode. She starts to say h,h,how can i help? Mind you we are in a downpour. I say help me get these tools in the garage. We both start frantically kicking the tools in the garage. It took a few days to find all them sockets.So thats the time i changed the oil pan.:rolleyes: Needless to say i know listen to the wife when she says it looks like rain:lmao2:

I pulled my oil pan off about a year ago and I was able to use a cherry picker and leave the oil pickup on. I loosened the engine mount bolts disconnected the intercooler plumbing and removed the fan and shroud and the oil pan came right out. I used a new gasket with some ultra black RTV and I believe the torque in the oil pan bolts was 25 foot pounds. Which I think is too much because the gasket started to squeeze out. I recommended just using Ultra Black RTV and just use the old German torque. Good luck.