• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Kudo's to the OEM air filter!

AH64ID

• Staff

Pulled my air filter out today to look at adding a winter air inlet and WOW!

It looks like it would severely hinder flow, but nope. On several WOT runs in 5th gear I am not sucking the filter minder down and the SGII only shows a .2psia drop at the intake. That's a quality filter, considering how much more air than stock I am moving. The filter has about 8,500 miles on it.

UOA is coming in a month or so (7,500 miles) so we shall see if the silicon is where it was with the lower flowing Amsoil.

Posted Image

• Owner

The only thing I would do to double check the stock air box is spray a light coat of WD40 to the upper lid and leave it. The the plastic box starts to deform over time it will start to leak dust around the seal and show up in your WD40 patch on the lid. My stock airbox started to leak dust at a little over 40K miles and I had to resort to greasing the gasket of the air filter to insure good seal.I'm not knocking the stock paper elements which I know they are good but the stock air filter box could be better...

• Staff

DO NOT even look at it. Replace it every other oil change or every oil change it is cheap to change than to buy a new Eng.

There is no reason to just replace it at an interval. Used filters are more efficient than new filters and I have 2 separate gauges that tell me the restriction, one digital and one filter minder. A .2psia drop is nothing considering the amount of air I am moving on my 400 rwhp tune thru a modified stock box.

The only thing I would do to double check the stock air box is spray a light coat of WD40 to the upper lid and leave it. The the plastic box starts to deform over time it will start to leak dust around the seal and show up in your WD40 patch on the lid. My stock airbox started to leak dust at a little over 40K miles and I had to resort to greasing the gasket of the air filter to insure good seal. I'm not knocking the stock paper elements which I know they are good but the stock air filter box could be better...

So far mine is good, I think the 3rd gen's are a little more robust as the cover is a PITA to get seated because the tolerance is so tight and the seal is quite thick.