• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1993 W350, VE44 Injection Pump Squirting Fuel!

bored155

Hey guys, new to the site. I've had mostly diesel vehicles, but I'm new to cummins. I'm a new owner of a 1993 350 Dually with the 12v 5.9. I love it so far, however, I have a pretty bad fuel leak. There is a little hose (about 1/8" or smaller diameter, about 1" long) that is on the right side of what appears to be the fuel injection pump. I think i've read that it's supposed to be a return hose that feeds excess fuel back to the tank. At idle, it will leak about 1/2qt of fuel per minute. I have only done about 225 miles and am at a half tank, which seems like unusually low gas mileage for the engine. It only has 140k miles on it, barely broken in! I can't find any diagrams online or hose routing guides to show me where the hose is supposed to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance guys!-Tom

all you should need to do to the pump is reseal it, I know the seal kit for it costs about $30 and then you have the labor. I was going to reseal the pump on my dads truck because it had been leaking a little fuel from the same hose thing but then it magically stopped doing it one day so I just left it alone. Wish I could tell you what kind of a job it is to reseal it but I haven't done that yet.

• Like 1

I was thinking about plugging the hose, but I don't want to damage any of the internals of the pump. Would that cause an unsafe rise in pressure inside the housing?

--- Update to the previous post...

So I found a rebuild kit online http://www.westportparts.com/BoschRebuildKit.htm but am nervous about opening the pump up. It seems to be leaking just around where the top meets the bottom half of the pump. Can I open it up and replace just that gasket without removing the pump from the engine bay? And if there is excess fuel in there, how hard would it be to replace o-rings on pin(s) inside without removing the pump? This truck is my daily driver and I do not want to mess anything up lol. Thanks!

• Owner

I highly suggest you pull the pump to do the work. As ofr doing the work its not to hard for replacing o-ring and such but there is several small parts and springs and it difficult to do this kind of work on the truck. The VE pump is keyed to the gear so it like installing a VP44. As for timing scratch a timing mark from the case of the VE bracket to the gear case to line up after doing your re-seal work.Now if you drop something inside the pump with the pump on the bench you can just flip it up-side-down to get the piece out but if its still attached to the engine you got to fish though a puddle of diesel fuel hoping to fish out what you may of dropped.. Don't ask how I know this... :duh: