• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Info needed Asap please fellas

So my steering has s*cked for a long time, and the other night I took it to a mechanic I feel is pretty good and knowledgeable. He checked my truck all over in the front to see what was making it wander so bad. Poped the tie rods off, checked balls joints for play and sticking, drivers side perfect, no sticking, pass side a bit up and down but no sticking. Trak bar, universal joints in the axles, tie rod, etc all good. I have the steering brace, etc. His conclusion (he drove it also), steering box was really tight feeling and a very very small bit of play in the shaft. Bearing up in the column had no play he said.. He could find nothing else wrong so he thinks put a box on it. So i'm goling to order the Borgenson and a shaft while i'm doing it. Now my question is, I am looking on the net where i'm going to order from and i'm a bit unclear... some say they are rebuilt boxes, some say brand new. Some say they have 14:1 ratio, Geno's garage claims his are 13:1 . Can someone give me the details on these boxes ? Are there two types that can be bought, are the brand new, rebuilt or what? Anyone have the full specs on them, piston size, shaft size, turns lock to lock etc? Appreciate any ino because I want to order one in the next couple of days. Thanks

all i have heard is borgsen 3 1/2 turn lock to lock is the way to go. i looked it up somewhere a while back but did look very close to anything but the price. did not know there were that many options. i am interested in how it all turns out. sorry i was not much help

The borgeson box from Genos is a 3.5 turn box and is the best mod there is hands down on 2nd gen rams. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BORG-800112 If you read the description it directly and clearly gives the specs and says its a 13:1 ratio 3.5 turn box. They are now the only 3.5 turn box that can be bought as new. Stock boxes are 16:1 ratio 4.5 turn.

• Like 1

Hidden

The borgeson box from Genos is a 3.5 turn box and is the best mod there is hands down on 2nd gen rams. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BORG-800112 If you read the description it directly and clearly gives the specs and says its a 13:1 ratio 3.5 turn box. They are now the only 3.5 turn box that can be bought as new. Stock boxes are 16:1 ratio 4.5 turn.

i am in need of a new box myself, given this information does the new 13:1 ratio boxes steer easier than stock (power assist i mean)? I do alot of offroading and more leverage to turn wheels is needed, im not worrying about how many turns i do with the steering wheel. I read it more, and i think if i get a high output pump from PSC and a cooler i will be fine. Might do hydro assist down the road too if needed.

Yes I was reading their info, but just a bit confused when I saw other sellers advertising the box saying it 14:1 ratio. That made me wonder is there two different boxes on the market or what ? Also, I think it was Borgenson site they say their boxes are brand new and other sites say rebuilt..wondering aout that too :whistle:

After talking with my coworker who owns a steering gear repair company about the stock boxes he claims he can build them to be a 3.5 turn box. Not sure if he stocks any or if he would need yours to rebuild but maybe it would be worth a phone call. His name is Ryan Vigessa and here is a link to his site. He works shift work so a message may have to be left, he is a great guy. He may even be able to get the borgesson box cheaper than other places as well. http://www.bluetopsteeringgears.com/

After talking with my coworker who owns a steering gear repair company about the stock boxes he claims he can build them to be a 3.5 turn box. Not sure if he stocks any or if he would need yours to rebuild but maybe it would be worth a phone call. His name is Ryan Vigessa and here is a link to his site. He works shift work so a message may have to be left, he is a great guy. He may even be able to get the borgesson box cheaper than other places as well. http://www.bluetopsteeringgears.com/

I got a quote from this guy and it was VERY reasonable. Good to talk to as well. I never pulled the trigger as I was still deciding what to do - but that was a good price :thumbup2: Requires a core - but no biggie

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering, (pardon the pun) does it steer better, really good, or like new? How many miles are on your truck? (trying to compare wear and tare)

--- Update to the previous post...

Mike, I am not sure what the sector adjustment you refered to is, but was wondering if it is that that adjustment on top of the steering box? (Lock nut and straight head screw)