• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well anyways, my 53 block has been cracked for a couple of years now and growing steadily.Iv'e been shopping around and here is what I think I will do. my truck has 140,000 miles on itso I think the best route to take is to get a new block and have all my stuff put on it.The mech said they will do the head and do anything needed while it is in the shop. I just wanna do it once and do it right. Looking at right at 8 grand does this sound like a good number ?? I do not want to put a junkyard engine in my baby.Luke

Well anyways, my 53 block has been cracked for a couple of years now and growing steadily.

Iv'e been shopping around and here is what I think I will do. my truck has 140,000 miles on it

so I think the best route to take is to get a new block and have all my stuff put on it.

The mech said they will do the head and do anything needed while it is in the shop. I just wanna do it once and do it right. Looking at right at 8 grand does this sound like a good number ??

I do not want to put a junkyard engine in my baby.

Luke[/quote

There is a class action lawsuit that will pay you $500(not much) A new block from frieghtliner $1500,gaskits,rings,seals,bearings $1000,Head work $400 Then your labor:spend:

Have you contacted a Cummins dealer to ask them if Cummins with split the cost with you? They may work with you on this and the price may be a bit less than you are not looking at but it will be done by a Cummins dealer mechanic and shop........for what that's worth. An entire new short block will cost you in the $12,000 range.

Well here's the deal. I live in california so naturally everything is more money. I checked a few other places and the 8 g was right about middle of the road. for the 8 g I will get a new block, pistons, rings, gaskets etc machine work, head redone all put back together and installed etc.One place wanted 7500 for less work. remaned short block and my stuff installed with no head work. another place wanted 9500 just for a long block not including labor, another 2 grand. Cummins did not want to deal with me. So I'll keep you posted when I get my truck backLuke

Well here's the deal. I live in california so naturally everything is more money. I checked a few

other places and the 8 g was right about middle of the road. for the 8 g I will get a new block, pistons, rings, gaskets etc machine work, head redone all put back together and installed etc.

One place wanted 7500 for less work. remaned short block and my stuff installed with no head work. another place wanted 9500 just for a long block not including labor, another 2 grand.

Cummins did not want to deal with me. So I'll keep you posted when I get my truck back

Luke

Why did'nt cummins want to deal with you? Call a local Frieghtliner dealer,(DON'T tell them it's for a Dodge Pickup),rather give them your engine#,ask for a price on a block,Overhaul kit,short block,long block.Why do you need new pistons?Did you read my post above? :shrug:

--- Update to the previous post...

Well here's the deal. I live in california so naturally everything is more money. I checked a few

other places and the 8 g was right about middle of the road. for the 8 g I will get a new block, pistons, rings, gaskets etc machine work, head redone all put back together and installed etc.

One place wanted 7500 for less work. remaned short block and my stuff installed with no head work. another place wanted 9500 just for a long block not including labor, another 2 grand.

Cummins did not want to deal with me. So I'll keep you posted when I get my truck back

Luke

You told them this was in a Dodge truck,Right? Always call with engine# until you build repoir with you cummins dealer.:smart:

• 4 weeks later...

Got my truck back yesterday from the shop. Boy Howdy !! it sure feels great knowing that I am a past having a cracked 53 block. After not having my dodge for 1 month I was smiling like a kid at Christmas driving it home.:hyper::hyper::hyper:

http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/cummins-53-block.html http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/2369-53-block-article I recently read about the 53 block. I was freaked out cause I went and checked one night for that infamous number and low and hold, I have the 53 block! Did a little more investigating another day and come to find out, I do not have the crack! :hyper: My truck sits at almost 200k miles on it. So I'm a lucky SOB! Hopefully my block is the type with the thicker jacket. Cause when I bought this truck, I highly doubt it was babied to the point of preventing the crack. When I do my spring coolant flush, I'm gonna measure the jacket and see if I'm the lucky guy to have the thicker jacket. Some points to remember: - 53 block is susceptible to having a thin water jacket on the passenger side below the freeze plug. Babying the engine until the engine warms up will help keep the potential for cracking to a minimun or prevent it. Don't romp on the pedal until its warmed up or you could cause a crack to occur or further an existing one. - Lock 'n stitch is a temporary fix. The ultimate solution is to replace the block that does not develop cracks. - I have seen some posts that say other blocks have had cracks as well. So it is not JUST the 53 block, but just more rare to occur.

:pant: If mine goes that long, I will be :hyper:!

It seems like the consensus on the forums is:

1. Less than 1% of the 53 blocks cracked

2. Its a 50-50 chance, you win some, you lose some, you live to fight another day

3. Less than 5-10% cracked

4. IF your water jacket is thicker than 0.250" you won the lottery and won't develop a crack.

ME? I lean with the #1 and #4. I think the way it goes is that less than 1% had water jackets that were thinner than 0.250"...

It was reported 100k blocks were produced. 1% of 100k is 1k blocks. That would have been enough to get that CAL going. Especially if you look at the frenzy people had when their prius' just all the sudden accelerated for no reason. The CEO for Toyota had to stand in front of CONGRESS! :banghead: