• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

01 24v horrible MPG and no coolant temp?

Even pulling a 8K trailer in 110*F outside temps with a 190*F thermostat wasn't bad at all the temp got up to 205*F... No big deal here... :clap:

Just put iin my :2cents: NW has humidity,dry heat in AZ,that's why all the old folks with arthitis go down there to live.

• Staff

pulling a 16k load in 110 degree heat it probly worked,especially in the hills.:woot:

I doubt it! Even in hot hot days I haven't ever seen more than 10° above full open on my thermostat. So even if we assume it got 20° above full open on a 130° stat your barely to min operating temp and that's only going to be on long hills. The hardest the cooling system gets worked is in 6th gear, rpms are low, EGT's are high, airflow is down, oil is hot, and torque is high. As you gear down you reduce the strain on the cooling system, and at 24K+ gross hill are probably pulled in 4th gear, maybe 5th on small hills and you just don't have the strain you would at 18K GCW in 6th. I can't think of a single good reason to run a 130° stat!

I doubt it! Even in hot hot days I haven't ever seen more than 10° above full open on my thermostat. So even if we assume it got 20° above full open on a 130° stat your barely to min operating temp and that's only going to be on long hills. The hardest the cooling system gets worked is in 6th gear, rpms are low, EGT's are high, airflow is down, oil is hot, and torque is high. As you gear down you reduce the strain on the cooling system, and at 24K+ gross hill are probably pulled in 4th gear, maybe 5th on small hills and you just don't have the strain you would at 18K GCW in 6th. I can't think of a single good reason to run a 130° stat!

Then WHY does someone manufacture one for this engine?:shrug:

Low thermostat likely has other applications. I'm familiar with marine engines, particularly Raw water cooled... salt / seawater would salt up at higher temps. I F'ed up a plow jeep with a marine thermostat... The next owner replaced the T-stat & all was well. Duhh!

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Bringing up the old thread. I was recently reading some info on low temp after-cooled QSB's, they have a 165° thermostat in them, and the min full load operating temp is still 160°. I still can see where a 130° stat would be used on B series diesel motor, it must be a natural gas application.