• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 grinds going into second

So I will need to tear apart my NV4500 and replace the syncros because it grinds when I shift into second gear. If I double clutch then I can shift with out grinding gears, but trying to down shift is difficult, so I am planning on tearing it down to replace the syncros, just wondering if I should have any other parts handy to replace since it is opened up? It seems to be fine otherwise, no whining, the gear shifter is tight and it does not seem to leak any fluids. I do not know if it has the fifth gear fix or not? Thanks for any insight.

I'd replace the main bearings while you're tearing it apart. At least the front one. And the input shaft seal.As long as you don't need to remove the countershaft for anything, I'd just check the teeth and such on it. 5th gear nut, output shaft seal, etc.. they're not that much $ but well worth not having to pull the trans again because they started leaking. :banghead:trust me, I know.

• Like 2

This is why I am asking, so I do not have to be :banghead: a month after I get it back in. I would rather only have to pull the trans once than have to pull the trans twice, I do most of my own work, but it is still the time and effort to do it I might as well do it only once.

I'd replace the main bearings while you're tearing it apart. At least the front one. And the input shaft seal. As long as you don't need to remove the countershaft for anything, I'd just check the teeth and such on it. 5th gear nut, output shaft seal, etc.. they're not that much $ but well worth not having to pull the trans again because they started leaking. :banghead: trust me, I know.