• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Boost gauge install question

I am installing a set of gauges (EGT, Boost, Transmission Temp) and am not real sure where to hook to boost gauge in to the engine. Pictures or a video would be helpful if there are any available.I am getting ready to drill and tap the exhaust manifold for the EGT gauge tomorrow, so if anyone has a picture of where you drilled your hole in the manifold that would be great too.Thanks...

Here is info for the EGT gauge http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/3792-thermocouple-install There is a 1/8"NPT plug on the intake manifold that you take out and put your boost line in there. Here is a pic http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/gauges/boost-gauge-install.jpg You can see it is right behind the fuel filter.

I ran my boost gauge line to the intake manifold plug as shown in the picture but was getting terrible gauge bouce at 15 psi or more. I moved upstream a ways to the to the aluminum crossover intake tube, tapped and drilled it, now no gauge bounce. I'm even thinking of relocating the map sensor up stream, the pulses generated from pistons/valves can't be good for it and at around 100$ + not cheap to replace. Another issue is it giving a power enhancer box some boucing input numbers can't help, perhaps stable boost numbers may help with surge issues?. Can anyone think of any downside to relocating the Map sensor?

my banks system gets its boost reading from the map sensor. it is always a good smooth reading from 0 to 34 and does not show any pulsating. i am not saying there is no pulsating going on in there, because i really dont know what is going on in there. my knowledge is limited. just my :2cents:

• Owner

I ran my boost gauge line to the intake manifold plug as shown in the picture but was getting terrible gauge bouce at 15 psi or more. I moved upstream a ways to the to the aluminum crossover intake tube, tapped and drilled it, now no gauge bounce. I'm even thinking of relocating the map sensor up stream, the pulses generated from pistons/valves can't be good for it and at around 100$ + not cheap to replace. Another issue is it giving a power enhancer box some boucing input numbers can't help, perhaps stable boost numbers may help with surge issues?. Can anyone think of any downside to relocating the Map sensor?

You might want to check you valve lash... Something is wrong here even might is rock solid... This is my fuel pressure video but you'll clearly see the boost gauge on top. No comments about sucking a air bubble. I was low on fuel when I did the video. :duh:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=grl72Up-8T0

Thanks Mike and Dripley, I see by your video how solid your boost gauge is. I have checked the valve lash in the past year and it was good. Both my addrenaline and (lower end) Autometer gauge jump around by as much as 5psi up at 25psi.. To think of it my Autometer guage is 0-35, perhaps the tube is a little on the weaker side and less tolerate to vibrations than say a 0 to 60 guage, hmm head scratcher.:)

i heard putting the EGT probe on the rear half of the manifold to read temps that include cyl #6 as it runs the hottest due to the cooling being towards the front. This way all the pistons will theoretically be cooler than #6 which will be the hottest (if all cylinders are balanced fuel delivery wise)This is how i did my EGT probe.pic below is a good example

post-11358-138698181478_thumb.jpg

i heard putting the EGT probe on the rear half of the manifold to read temps that include cyl #6 as it runs the hottest due to the cooling being towards the front. This way all the pistons will theoretically be cooler than #6 which will be the hottest (if all cylinders are balanced fuel delivery wise) This is how i did my EGT probe. pic below is a good example

I have heard of this as well but I don't see any difference with my truck as I have pyro in each the front and rear manifold, a autometer in the front and my Adrenaline in the rear.