• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Track bar repair question

I came across an article about a track bar repair called "Luke's Link". It is supposed to rebuild the worn end of the track bar better than stock and be adjustable should it ever loosen up. Cost is $69 at Vulcan Performance.Has anyone tried this?I have a friend who is about to buy a track bar and I thought of telling him about this, but thought I would check to see if anyone has tried it yet.

Well my experience with it wasn't good at all. Mine didn't last too long and I had to either buy a new one or upgrade the track bar.:2cents:

Personally I would recommend him to do the 3rd gen TB upgrade as that is where things will wear out and or require more frequent maintenace. I think they "Lukes Links" are better suited for tie rod ends.:2cents:
  • Like 1

i have heard it is a bandaid on something that will always be a weak point. thus why i never bothered with it. I am on my 4th trackbar in 3 years (keep the receipt from advance and moog will replace for free lifetime warranty).I am just going to put the coin down on a 3rd gen trackbar and bracket, never worry bout it again.

• Like 1

I am still kind of new to all of this, when you say 3rd generation track bar, what year specifically should he ask for? Also, should he get it from the stealership, or does someone else build a better one.I know Dodge won't be cheap. Yesterday, I bought that braided oil supply line that runs from the engine to the turbo... $124. :broke:

I am still kind of new to all of this, when you say 3rd generation track bar, what year specifically should he ask for? Also, should he get it from the stealership, or does someone else build a better one. I know Dodge won't be cheap. Yesterday, I bought that braided oil supply line that runs from the engine to the turbo... $124. :broke:

I would shop around for the track bar conversion kits, any year 3rd gen will work, Just need to check out the aftermarket companies to see who has the most reasonable kit. If you shop around you could get the bar from any autoparts store fairly reasonable and then just buy the adaptor braket from one of the mANY diesel sites who mkae or carry them.

I ended up lifting my truck enough that i ended up getting an adjustable track bar but had ordered a lukes link repair kit before i decided to do this. If i can find it Id sell it to him at a reduced cost if he wants it, just let me know and ill try to do some digging around the next few days.-Jordan-

• 3 weeks later...

I put the lukes link on 1 year ago. just had to adjust. i would have liked to buy new track bar, but didn't have the money. i have been happy with lukes link and will use them till i can afford the 3rd gen track bar. also i used lukes for the tie rod ends as well.:)

• Like 1

• Staff

i have heard it is a bandaid on something that will always be a weak point. thus why i never bothered with it. I am on my 4th trackbar in 3 years (keep the receipt from advance and moog will replace for free lifetime warranty). I am just going to put the coin down on a 3rd gen trackbar and bracket, never worry bout it again.

That is what I did and I'm very happy with it. It looks really stout compared to the original. I got the adjustable one so I could do the 2 inch front leveling kit.

That is what I did and I'm very happy with it. It looks really stout compared to the original. I got the adjustable one so I could do the 2 inch front leveling kit.

the other issue i have found is that not only is the balljoint wearing, the cheap weak rubber on the axle side is worn and there is a ton of slop in it right now on my rig. I have to replace the bolt too. The heavy duty polyurethane bushings wont wear as easily as the rubber ones. and you can replace them easily when they to get a bit of slop in them.

Jag1, just to clarify, are you saying you got a adjustable 3rd gen. trackbar. Or, an adjustable Luke's link?I am thinking you meant the "3rd Gen." but I just want to be sure. I have read a little about people installing the newer bars but haven't gotten a clear idea of what year 3rd gen. to order from (if that even matters). My friend has had a lot of trouble with looking like a DUI candidate. I had an extra steering box stabilizer that wouldn't work on my truck because of the snow plow frame. He put that on his truck and it has helped a good bit but he is really interested in making it drive right, so any information (including cost) you can give me on the 3rd gen. track bar is much appreciated. He just bought a large camper trailer like Mopar Mike's so he needs to keep it between the lines. Another question. I am getting ready to install a 2" leveling kit on my truck. Do you know if I need to modify anything else to install this kit. The kit is from Hell Bent Steel.I was of the understanding that I could just install it [2" leveling kit] and it wouldn't affect the driveablility at all. I am running completely stock wheels and tire size.Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbup2:

• Staff

Jag1, just to clarify, are you saying you got a adjustable 3rd gen. trackbar. Or, an adjustable Luke's link? I am thinking you meant the "3rd Gen." but I just want to be sure. I have read a little about people installing the newer bars but haven't gotten a clear idea of what year 3rd gen. to order from (if that even matters). My friend has had a lot of trouble with looking like a DUI candidate. I had an extra steering box stabilizer that wouldn't work on my truck because of the snow plow frame. He put that on his truck and it has helped a good bit but he is really interested in making it drive right, so any information (including cost) you can give me on the 3rd gen. track bar is much appreciated. He just bought a large camper trailer like Mopar Mike's so he needs to keep it between the lines. Another question. I am getting ready to install a 2" leveling kit on my truck. Do you know if I need to modify anything else to install this kit. The kit is from Hell Bent Steel. I was of the understanding that I could just install it [2" leveling kit] and it wouldn't affect the driveablility at all. I am running completely stock wheels and tire size. Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbup2:

I got my 3rd gen adjustable track bar from source automotive in Clackamas, Oregon. It has a stout upper mounting bracket and thicker bar size. Source automotive ships to everyone. I think their number is 503 654-9004. They work mostly on Dodge CTD's so they know all the good stuff. I bought the steering stabilizer and the 03 adjustable track bar from them and had them do the install. My truck only had about 40 k but, WOW, what a difference:thumbup2:. When you do the two inch leveling kit you'll need the adjustable track bar or your front differential and wheels will be off center by about 3/4''. The track bar allows you to get the front running gear back to the center neutral position and stops the vibration you might get at highway speeds. That's all you really need except an alignment is always a good idea and getting the steering wheel back to 12 o'clock, going straight, can be a bit time consuming but, easy enough to do. Remember a two inch leveling kit will require air bags in the rear if you carry any heavy weight in the future.
  • Like 1

First off, thanks for the info., it is very helpful. I think I will wait to install the leveling kit until I can get a 3rd gen track bar. My truck drives very nice and I don't want to change that over making it look "level". Do you mind me asking how much your 3rd gen. track bar ran you?

• Staff

First off, thanks for the info., it is very helpful. I think I will wait to install the leveling kit until I can get a 3rd gen track bar. My truck drives very nice and I don't want to change that over making it look "level". Do you mind me asking how much your 3rd gen. track bar ran you?

I'm sorry I was not aeound for awhile to answer but, I paid $850 for the trac bar and steering stabilizer with installation. That's all I can remember. Rip at Source automotive gave me a deal because the econ was worse thenthan now, I guess.