• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

Here is where I'm a bit smarter... I've got that PanaPacific gauge at the bottom of my dash and I got the outside temp alarm set at 35*F to warn me the road conditions might start freezing. Then I back out of it. Once the road conditions are snow packed or ice covered I now change the Edge Comp from 5x5 to 5x1 so instead of have max power right off... I got to build 20 PSI of boost before power is delievered but below 20 PSI I only get 33% of stock fuel rate... So my saving grace of fuel control is the Edge Comp's defueling settings. This is how I tend to get away with driving on ice and snow in 2WD.

i get my sense of security to find out if im on ice when i see others skid off the road... everyonce in a while i will drop it into 2wd and gas it, if the backend walks out on me i know to be more attentive and slow down a bit, more lead time. I dont trust the 4wd like you said, so i do this test here and there.

Pulled a set of doubles thruogh the tunnel(vail pass) and had an AWD suv flip in front of me ,people were OK so I did'nt stop.They were way over the safe limit.

I dont have much luck with my truck in the snow. Last year moved up to WA. Was out and about and started getting more snow. Now granted it was packed snow and then fresh snow, mixed with ice. In drive the minute I released the brake the back tires started spinning. Almost got stuck in a parking lot as the truck would either push the front tires or just spin the back. Got back home and went out and walked. Saw 3 almost accidents while waiting to cross. :lol: I did drive the truck in all the snow till that day. IIRC snow started to melt then that nite went below freezing, then snowed the following day. hard packed snow, ice and more snow is slick. I needed 4 legs that day. Was funny watching my dogs slide on ice. First time for them too! :lmao:On the roads it was ok. The non plowed areas it sucked. Had to drive my Ramcharger. Even that in 2wd was still sliding. Locked in 4wd no sliding at all.They just sprayed stuff on the road. Not sure if its de icer or anti icer? Going 40 I can get the back tires to spin. I do it on purpose, I must admit. Bought the wife a 98 Jeep 5.9 GC. has the np249 which is a full time 4wd. 4 wheel drifts are fun!

Man, I wish I had read this thread prior to my elk hunting trip (read "wrecked my truck" thread). I grew up in Florida and now live in southern Arizona, so I don't see much snow. The guy who said pull over and wait it out had the right idea. I was in 2nd gear (auto - so not to put too much torque to the ground), in 4WD high, with brand new tires. All that didn't help me stop...especially since I was towing a 6k pound trailer.