• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Auto High Idle?

jlwelding

I got married at the JP's office in Gaffney SC. Still live in Hickory NC. Iknow quite a few folks that made that trip back in my younger days. I am like you 20* is cold enough for me. But from where some of these folks are from they are gonna call us wussies.:lmao:

• Owner

Still say come to Idaho with -25*F weather...:lol:But seriously it best to fire up the truck. Go back and grab you odds and ends that you need for the day or work. Then get rolling and take it easy till the coolant temp comes up. I used the high idle more so for when I was working the fire dept and need a warm place to put people during vehicle accidents etc. But typically I'll just fire up and drive easy till warm.

I pretty much follow the same procedure as MM. Crank it up idle for 20 or 30 seconds, idle out to the highway and drive easy until I see the temp rise or the oil pressure start to drop. They pretty much go hand in hand.I have worked in -25* weather before and it sucked. That is just to cold. Anytime you have to get an air compressor and a 90# hammer to dig a ditch, it just aint right.

I pretty much follow the same procedure as MM. Crank it up idle for 20 or 30 seconds, idle out to the highway and drive easy until I see the temp rise or the oil pressure start to drop. They pretty much go hand in hand. I have worked in -25* weather before and it sucked. That is just to cold. Anytime you have to get an air compressor and a 90# hammer to dig a ditch, it just aint right.

But it's a "dry" cold!!:smart: Anyone can like 75* and sunny. It takes a special kind of idiot to like the other extreme!!!:2cents:

All the third gen and up trucks have the option for setting your idle with your cruise control. You only have to take your truck to the dealer and have it turned on. If your dealer says he can't find a new dealer.push the cruise on, then push set and your idle should run up to 1000 RPM. By tapping the accel button you can run it up to 1500 RPM in 100 RPM increments.Don

I dont think the early 3rd gens have it. I know the 2nd gens dont. High idle alone does not make much differance, you have to load the engine. My e brake does when you idle out. 350* to 400* on flat ground and 500or a little better with a slight incline

My '04.5 had the "high idle"enabled from the factory. Does it automagically. I cannot do via the cruise control.When it's cold here, I only idle Mighty Whitey long enough to back out of the garage, close the garage, and hitch up my work trailer. Usually well under 5 minutes unless I forgot something in the house!!!:ahhh: Then I just drive easy until I get out of the neighborhood. Almost 8 years and 162,xxx and all's well!!:cool:

• Staff

My '04.5 had the "high idle"enabled from the factory. Does it automagically. I cannot do via the cruise control. When it's cold here, I only idle Mighty Whitey long enough to back out of the garage, close the garage, and hitch up my work trailer. Usually well under 5 minutes unless I forgot something in the house!!!:ahhh: Then I just drive easy until I get out of the neighborhood. Almost 8 years and 162,xxx and all's well!!:cool:

The automatic fast idle is enabled on all 03+ CTD's (and maybe 2nd gens??). The manual fast idle needed to be enabled, which Smarty has done for you. Since you have a manual all you need to do is ground the ECM #22 pin and you can control your rpms with the cruise control.

The automatic fast idle is enabled on all 03+ CTD's (and maybe 2nd gens??). The manual fast idle needed to be enabled, which Smarty has done for you. Since you have a manual all you need to do is ground the ECM #22 pin and you can control your rpms with the cruise control.

Negatory AH64ID...........Mighty Whitey has had the automagic "high idle" operational since new. That includes pre Edge Juice w/Attutude, and pre Smarty.:smart: I wonder if it doesn't have something to do where the trucks were sold??? For example; North of a certain latitude, they programmed it into the ECM. I dunno........some of this has not "rhyme or reason" to it!!!!

• Staff

Negatory AH64ID...........Mighty Whitey has had the automagic "high idle" operational since new. That includes pre Edge Juice w/Attutude, and pre Smarty.:smart: I wonder if it doesn't have something to do where the trucks were sold??? For example; North of a certain latitude, they programmed it into the ECM. I dunno........some of this has not "rhyme or reason" to it!!!!

I think you misread my post, as I said the same thing you are saying. The automatic fast idle (high idle on a diesel is rated rpm, no load) is enabled on every 3rd gen, and cannot be disabled. It's not an option. The manual fast idle is an option to be enabled on 04+ trucks, with the rare 03. It has to be enabled by the DRBIII/Star Scan or tuner. Automatic/Manual has nothing to do with transmission, but how the rpms increase. Automatic: ~32° rpms will increase to 1,000 rpms 2 minutes after startup; ~15° and below the rpms will go to 1,000 as soon as you start. Manual: Turn the cruise control on, press set. Rpms go to 1,100. Accel/Decel can be used to adjust the rpms in 100 rpm increments between 1,100 and 1,500.

Not sure why some of the 03 trucks would have a different steering wheel, they should not. When the 3rd gen HD trucks came out the column changed at the same time! We build the columns at the plant I work at and part of the change over was a new steering wheel. The same one that is in the 04 should be in the 03. Can you take a pic of our wheel I would like to see what it looks like. Now if you do not have cruise control then no you won't be able to do this. But again cruise was standard on all the trucks except the ST base model if memory serves me.Don

• Staff

Not sure why some of the 03 trucks would have a different steering wheel, they should not. When the 3rd gen HD trucks came out the column changed at the same time! We build the columns at the plant I work at and part of the change over was a new steering wheel. The same one that is in the 04 should be in the 03.

Can you take a pic of our wheel I would like to see what it looks like. Now if you do not have cruise control then no you won't be able to do this. But again cruise was standard on all the trucks except the ST base model if memory serves me.

Don

The steering wheel difference was in shape and cruise control buttons.

With this wheel the manual fast idle will not work. (and yes I know it's a hemi, that's not the point :doh:)

Posted Image