• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

national cell phone ban

Laws ? There are so many laws on each state books, there is no way to know even 2% of them. I was raised in Ill, and before I left there in '67, I read some of the laws that were still active on the books. One said at the age of 16, every male HAD to have a weapon with him when outside, (or something similar to that), this was to protect you from indian attacks. And the law that got Al Capon, the state stamp tax on the bottom of every tobacco container was still in effect. Heck, in 1967, they had the stamp tax sticker on the bottom of the pack and no one cared or much less knew of it, and I seem no one with a weapon going to town, in fact, I didn't see any indian attacks either. But still on the books and active. We have laws, plenty of them with no end in sight.

I agree that driving is a privledge, and I agree there area alot of idiots out there. Whether a cell phone ban is right or wrong could be disputed forever, but my point is if it's not legal for everyone to do it, why should it be legal for anyone, including cops. It's funny i'm typing this tonight because here's another example getting away from cell phones for a second, My wife and I were out with another couple for dinner tonight and were driving along (4 of us in the car all talking) and a police car came up behind me and stayed on my a**, about 15 ft away for about 5 miles. As we were coming to a passing lane I saw him get close enough it was hard to see his headlights and put his signal light on to go out by me, but another car coming towards us kept him from doing it. Next passing lane we came to he went out by me, and in a 50 mph zone he started pulling away from me. I started speeding up and there I was doing 65 mph in a 50 zone, and he was still pulling away from me...no lights flashing, no siren going. Where's the law enforcer in that? Leading back to the cell phones, how do you make a good impression and try to convince people this is not the way to act when driving a car, when the ones giving out the tickets are guilty of it?If it's a law, it's a law and should be no exceptions. That's was causes unrest in this country , when people aren't put into the same catagory when it comes to rules, and the ones that are forced to live by the rules have to sit back and watch the other ones not. Sorry to stray a bit but it all ties together in reality. I would discuss the police truck I saw the other night with the trailer hitch sticking out the reciever (which they fine you for it) sitting at a stop sign , then proceeding left without using his signal light (which they fine you for ), but i've hijacked the thread enough. :whistle:

I for one am FED UP to the eye balls with new laws and the misguided people who beg for them. I am beginning to realize that the vast majority of American's DO NOT want freedom but merely a just master.

This cell phone argument is without logic and is the very same tired out and illogical arguments that anti-drunk driving extremists pushed. Now we have body armor wearing, machinegun totting, state sponsored terrorists who stop us unlawfully, unconstitutional, and immorally at "drunk driving check points". Was throwing away your natural born rights and constitutional liberties worth getting the drunks off the road??? News flash for ya.....the drunks are STILL on the road.

This applies to everything from the USA PATRIOT Act on down to the stupid laws that create criminal empowerment zones that ban guns from schools and colleges. Are you any safer??? Has one of these laws stopped a terrorist or gunman???? These laws create terrorists and make decent American citizens criminals.

I will talk on my cell phone when, where, and if I need to which is nearly never. Same reason, I wear my seatbelt........because it IS the smart thing to do and NOT because some state sponsored terrorist road revenue collector or law tells me to. No big brother law is going to stop me from talking on my cell phone while driving, I rarely do it because I realize it is distracting NOT because some tyrant in government tells me!

Those who cause accidents or drive recklessly should be held to FULL account for their actions......NOT the rest of America.

Our system of government is broke beyond repair. No amount of laws will fix it. No amount of taxation will pay for its repair. It has become an IMMORAL, UNJUST, and TYRANICAL system.

If people spent as much time and effort on voluntarily governing THEMSELVES as they do working to get new laws, ordinances, and rules to control everyone else......America would be a MUCH better place.

EVERYTIME a new law, ordinance, or rule is put into effect another law ALWAYS takes its course and usually if not ALWAYS for the worst. The law of unintended consequences.

End of rant. :gages::lol:

LiveOak, what would you do to fix the problem? Allowing people to continue to do as they will hoping they will be held accountable sure seems like turning a blind eye to the issue. I am sure you wont enjoy insurance rates going up because of accidents caused by distractions by yet another source...How many sources of distractions and deaths does it take till something is done?

To me the problem is everybody thinks they can multitask. I come from a musical family all the way back to great grand parents. I can multitask. I can talk (not text) wile driving. I do think i am a better driver when i am not on the phone. After 20 + years of talking wile driving i have not had even a close call. I am for the ban. I will stop if it is put into law.

LiveOak, what would you do to fix the problem? Allowing people to continue to do as they will hoping they will be held accountable sure seems like turning a blind eye to the issue. I am sure you wont enjoy insurance rates going up because of accidents caused by distractions by yet another source... How many sources of distractions and deaths does it take till something is done?

Mike, I just spent the better part of an hour doing my best to craft a well considered reply to the above questions. As has been the case EACH and EVERYTIME I come here and post, the forum software locks up and the page has to be recovered thus dumping what I spent a LOT of time writing into oblivion. Even the first attempt to post this short reply resulted in the same thing. :banghead: :banghead::banghead::mad: This happens whenever I try to select one of the smilies. I post on a variety of website forums and this is the ONLY website that I have this repeated problem on.

I for one am FED UP to the eye balls with new laws and the misguided people who beg for them. I am beginning to realize that the vast majority of American's DO NOT want freedom but merely a just master.

This cell phone argument is without logic and is the very same tired out and illogical arguments that anti-drunk driving extremists pushed. Now we have body armor wearing, machinegun totting, state sponsored terrorists who stop us unlawfully, unconstitutional, and immorally at "drunk driving check points". Was throwing away your natural born rights and constitutional liberties worth getting the drunks off the road??? News flash for ya.....the drunks are STILL on the road.

This applies to everything from the USA PATRIOT Act on down to the stupid laws that create criminal empowerment zones that ban guns from schools and colleges. Are you any safer??? Has one of these laws stopped a terrorist or gunman???? These laws create terrorists and make decent American citizens criminals.

I will talk on my cell phone when, where, and if I need to which is nearly never. Same reason, I wear my seatbelt........because it IS the smart thing to do and NOT because some state sponsored terrorist road revenue collector or law tells me to. No big brother law is going to stop me from talking on my cell phone while driving, I rarely do it because I realize it is distracting NOT because some tyrant in government tells me!

Those who cause accidents or drive recklessly should be held to FULL account for their actions......NOT the rest of America.

Our system of government is broke beyond repair. No amount of laws will fix it. No amount of taxation will pay for its repair. It has become an IMMORAL, UNJUST, and TYRANICAL system.

If people spent as much time and effort on voluntarily governing THEMSELVES as they do working to get new laws, ordinances, and rules to control everyone else......America would be a MUCH better place.

EVERYTIME a new law, ordinance, or rule is put into effect another law ALWAYS takes its course and usually if not ALWAYS for the worst. The law of unintended consequences.

End of rant. :gages::lol:

No, really, tell us how you feel about a possible ban. Quite beating around the bush and just tell us.:lmao: I have to agree with you, we have enough laws on the books for distracted drivers, we need to enforce the one that we have and not add new ones. I was driving into town today, not on my cell phone or texting and almost ran off the road, I guess if I had caused an accident under the new law I would not be held accountable even though I was distracted because a cell phone was not involved, but someone at a red light that gets rear-ended is at fault because he was on a cell phone??? Lets enforce the laws we have and not keep getting new ones, it is a tragedy that people die, but as long as there are vehicles on the roads people will die on them or because of them. If you want to stop cell phone use in vehicles then lets outlaw vehicles, but then when somebody trips and falls while walking and talking then I guess that we will have to outlaw walking. People will find ways around the law, just like people with new diesels have found ways to delete the emissions on them, even though that is illegal.

If you want to stop cell phone use in vehicles then lets outlaw vehicles, but then when somebody trips and falls while walking and talking then I guess that we will have to outlaw walking.

Ha, they are already doing this at work, or at least are telling people they are not allowed using them! No talking on cell phones when walking to or from your vehicle because you may not look where your walking !:cookoo:

well how bout instead of banning cellphone use while driving, just revoke driving prevelages of those who kill someone from being distracted because of the cellphone.i know everyone can compare this and that as far as distractions go but lets be honest, who has seen more accidents or dumb sh!t being done by drivers being distracted by other stuff compared to cell phones?in the past 6 months i have yet to see a person do something stupid in front of me that was NOT on a cell phone. All of them doing stupid stuff was on a phone. this is the point.

• Staff

I dont know this to be fact, but i am willing to bet that most states have some form of law to be able to fault or lay blame for an accident on any one who is driving while impaired or distracted. not sure about the distracted part, but my brother was cited for failing to avoid an accident when someone else ran a stop light in NC back in the 60's. i dont think they have removed the law off the books. I just dont think we need the government passing another intrusion into our lives if something else exists to deal with it. Start holding people accountable for they do and we can do alot of that by using existing laws. enforce thae laws we have and make people take responsibility for what they do. there is a sad lack of that in this country today. My parents raised me to be proud of my self and mey deeds, but when i was wrong, own up to it and deal with it.:smart: Boy the lawyers would have a hey day with me.

Good post :thumbup2:

It is easier to think that someone else is at fault then to take personal responsibility of what happens to yourself. Our govt. spends more time telling us what we can and cannot do. They need to use all that time instead on getting us out of the mess we are in instead of making more of a mess!:2cents: