• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

99 3/4 ton diesel 4x4,241hdwhen in 4wd i have loud clunking under front of truck.iv'e checked in the diff and both axle u-joints and front bearings.all look good, could it be the front drive shaft u-joints making this noise?any body had trouble with this?thanks in advance

be careful if it is your front cv joint.i broke mine this year.as it did took out my fass fp wire harness wrecked the end that mounts the drive shaft to the transfercase & broke the rear trans. fluid line off the trans. which was the hardest part to fix.if the noise does not appear to be from a ujoint it may be an issue with the engage fork or collar inside the axle housing.hopefully it's just a ujoint their not too bad to replace.:thumb1:

The unit on the front driveshaft is called a Double Cardan joint, not a CV joint. A Double Cardan joint consists of two u-joints and a middle ball joint held in place by springs. Its purpose is to cancel out u-joint angle vibrations by allowing the differential pinion angle to be set at a different angle than the TC output u-joint. When the u-joints and ball joint dry out or get contaminated from road salt, ect., then the DC can vibrate and make lots of noise. Turning simply causes driveline binding and will aggravate the situation. You have the CAD front axle so its not a concern "IF" you're not using 4wd but as mentioned, if you're using 4wd then be careful because if the DC is in poor enough condition, under high load conditions it can break which will cause all kinds of damage under there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

i had the same noise. i opened the front diff and everything looked good and my father in law was under the truck helping me and noticed the drive shaft(transfer case side) had a lot of slop in it. took it out and replaced the u joints($160)and the noise is gone. my not be your problem but i had the same sound and that fixed my problem