• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1800 miles 12.5 mpg towing

Less rotational mass... :smart: On our truck the front axles are soid so the axles and the driveshaft spin all the time so if you pull the driveshaft off then you reduced the rotational mass on the front axle (in theory).

Just didn't think that would make much diff ;)

Taking off the front driveshaft would only help on non-CAD front axles because on full time 4wd systems the front tires are always turning the front axles which are turning the carrier which is turning the driveshaft which is spinning bearings in the transfer case. As Mike stated, that rotational mass and drag could affect fuel mileage. There would be no point in removing the driveshaft off a CAD axle since everything is basically disconnected in 2wd.

• 2 weeks later...

No need to get rid of the truck, just the motor!:ahhh:

What do the call 'em, Fummins?

--- Update to the previous post...

If you can find it under the plumbing:lmao2:. That is another reason i love it, open the hood i can see the engine front to back, both sides. it runs, pulls, and gets better milage than when it was new. Upgrades have provided the mileage, but the rock solid engine has provided the foundation for that.

Total agreement!:thumbup2:

--- Update to the previous post...

From about 1,500 to 2,000 RPM's is your torque curve pass 2,000 RPM the torque start heading down hill on most trucks and the HP starts to flatten out some. Remember this is just rule of thumb guys/gals... I know some of you can provide dyno sheets with torque going well into the 3K catagory. :rolleyes:

What we are all saying is that we have great trucks!:cummins: I have none of the mods you guys/girls have & it still loves to work. I took my truck camper off this week, I finally got my truck back. We mostly go about 60MPH w the camper & pulling the horse trailer, that seems to be the sweet spot.. Haven't checked the MPG's in a while because it seems that I never have enough money to fill er back up!:wink:

CTD,

Dave

• Owner

What we are all saying is that we have great trucks!:cummins: I have none of the mods you guys/girls have & it still loves to work. I took my truck camper off this week, I finally got my truck back. We mostly go about 60MPH w the camper & pulling the horse trailer, that seems to be the sweet spot.. Haven't checked the MPG's in a while because it seems that I never have enough money to fill er back up!:wink:

CTD,

Dave

Simple then get a ScanGauge II then you can see the MPG's without filling up all the time... :thumbup2: Trust me at $4.229 a gallon for diesel locally I don't even want to think of the $150 bill to fill from empty... :wow:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRQdoPs_tLo

From about 1,500 to 2,000 RPM's is your torque curve pass 2,000 RPM the torque start heading down hill on most trucks and the HP starts to flatten out some. Remember this is just rule of thumb guys/gals... I know some of you can provide dyno sheets with torque going well into the 3K catagory. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to link any dyno sheets Mike :) but in reality the 2ng gen 24v makes an incredible flat torque curve which can run almost all the way to about 2600-2700 before falling off, with the smallest peak being about 2200 RPM. Almost rivaling an electric motor. The HP slight uphill curve is also impressive, mimicking a high school algebra equation looking for the proof. Point being is that these motors put out HP and torque like no other, which is why their a great towing motor. So in proving your point, as well as mine, for an engine that makes almost the same torque during idle as it does cruising down the road.....its not so much the RPM's but aerodynamics and engine load which affect fuel mileage. Guys who want to go fast (especially towing) are asking a lot for the engine to shove their large object down the highway. OK.....I'm done now. :)

I'd like to see a dyno sheet for a stock 2nd gen and then the same truck with a variable turbo. I mean let's face it, when you step on it, not much happens until the turbo decides to put the cheetos bag down, turn the tv off, and do something. If you had constant boost, or a supercharger for that matter, I think the dyno sheet would be very different and interesting. A few months ago I was pulling our trailer and blew a boot off while trying to get past grandma. It went from running 700F EGT at 70mph, to 1000F at 60mph. The turbo is a huge asset to the engine. As for when the turbo is doing something, I cannot tell any different in power from when it lights at 1500, up until redline. If I need more power, I push harder, simple as that, you don't feel any power shortages anywhere so a dyno and a seat of pants dyno are very different perspectives.

I'd like to see a dyno sheet for a stock 2nd gen and then the same truck with a variable turbo. I mean let's face it, when you step on it, not much happens until the turbo decides to put the cheetos bag down, turn the tv off, and do something. If you had constant boost, or a supercharger for that matter, I think the dyno sheet would be very different and interesting. A few months ago I was pulling our trailer and blew a boot off while trying to get past grandma. It went from running 700F EGT at 70mph, to 1000F at 60mph. The turbo is a huge asset to the engine. As for when the turbo is doing something, I cannot tell any different in power from when it lights at 1500, up until redline. If I need more power, I push harder, simple as that, you don't feel any power shortages anywhere so a dyno and a seat of pants dyno are very different perspectives.

Good points ISX. I'm surprised it actually took as long as it did for variable turbos to make it in production. Seems like a logical idea. And not disagreeing with you but.....the turbo is not as much of an asset as it "IS" the engine. Supercharging an engine increases the volumetric efficiency from under 100% to a minimum of 100%, which means that the 5.9l engine volumetric displacement increases substantially while under boost. As for lag, ideally superchargers would be best for instant throttle response but since blowers take HP to make HP, you dont see them as often. But turbos are the king of making power out of what the engine throws away, and you cant beat that. And you're right about real HP and seat of the pants feel but depending on who's in the seat, that perspective will vary where the HP will not. :)

Simple then get a ScanGauge II then you can see the MPG's without filling up all the time... :thumbup2: Trust me at $4.229 a gallon for diesel locally I don't even want to think of the $150 bill to fill from empty... :wow:

HI Mike,

I have one, it's in my other car but it's going back in my truck. My DD is going to be an 84 MB diesel (300D), no port in that one! I need to figure out how to set it back to diesel. The last time I used it was last Summer, said I got 24MPG on my vacation trip. I don't think so, that was when it still was set for D2. It's a fun scan tool!

Diesel here yesterday was $379.9, I can almost afford that. NOT!

Keep up the good work,:thumbup2:

Dave

between smarty and 60HP injectors my turbo lights down around 1,200rpms when the truck kicks into 4th gear. and she holds and pulls string all the way to about 2400 when it seems to loose all HP.