• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1998 dodge ram 24v cummins 3/4 ton 4x4 automatic wiring issue.....need help

well I checked the pins as best as I could and didnt find anything but Im going to detach the fuel filter housing so I can get behind it easier.

ALSO, Ive noticed my powersteering keeps freezing up on me at night.....WTH is that all about?? Its cold here but Im sure theres other places that are much colder. Is there some sort of additive or maybe certain fluid I should use.

--- Update to the previous post...

well, they guy you told me to get ahold have said he has no clue about it.....I priced out an ECM and even with my buddys discount its still 1400.00....wth????

ok, so my local dealership sucks. I need the REAL wiring diagram for the cluster on my truck.

Flush the power steering system and put synthetic fluid of your choosing in it. I am Amsoil crazy.I would break down and take it to the dealer and pay the 50 bucks and have a factory diagnostic tool hooked up and go from there. I know it goes against our beliefs but some times it is way easier and faster to find issues that way as the factory reader can see most issues and or narrow it down at least. I see so many threads where folks throw hundreds or thousands into just swapping parts rather than pay the 50-75 buck diagnostic fee and then replacing a 50 dollar part. The dealers are not always wrong or bad. They are in business to make money not to give away free information.:thumbup2:When it comes to a rare issue like you are having it would pay and save time to do this. You would be utterly amazed at what a good tech can read with the diagnostic tool when it comes to wiring related issues. I have had a DRB in my hands at a dealer that a friend of mine works at and they are extremely impressive even to me who has worked with other scan tools over the years.

• Like 1

well as of right now my OBDII port sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. Or I would do that. Plus the mechainic I have working with me has the Snap on reader. Not sure which one but it should read it but like I said that OBDII port isnt responding as it should

also, i know a guy at my dealership and he has no prob giving me stuff like that but they have no listing for the cluster wiring diagram for the 98 24valve........wth??

im also hoping thatsomeone has the diagram for the wiring to the back of the truck (tail, turn, license plate light and brake lights)

Well there are 2 issues here, one is that the pins in the obdII connection are the most prone to getting stretched open and or pushed out of the connector. This is a super common issue.Second the snap-on scanners can not do or see nearly as much as the OEM diagnostic tool.

• 1 month later...

Ok guys, Just an update. Im still having the same issue with my cluster. All the plugs and pins in the ECM and PCM look like brand new. I did however find out today that on some of these dodge rams depending what codes are tripped with the check engine light coming on sometimes you have to clear certain codes before others. My buddy who is a really good mechanic and has been working with me on this just found this out from a buddy of his at the dealer while he was working on another ram with similiar problems. Anyone ever heard of this? Im hoping to get it to the dealer this week and try it.

• Staff

In situations like these I sometimes wonder if it would be better to just remove the factory gauges, drill the right sized holes for good aftermarkets and start building your own gauge cluster. A guy could also make the dash more easily removable. Major remodel but oh so cool looking like a real truck dash. Most likely a pipe dream...... sorry I cannot help except my gut tells me there is just one problematic connection somewhere, key to getting your gauges running again.

jag, iI have to agree with you. I have a feeling its 1 stupid wire scrfewing with me. wiring in aftermarket custom guages sounds like a cool idea but the problem would still exist considering those guages would still have to be powered from and information sent from the same place with a broken wire (possibly)

• Staff

jag, iI have to agree with you. I have a feeling its 1 stupid wire scrfewing with me. wiring in aftermarket custom guages sounds like a cool idea but the problem would still exist considering those guages would still have to be powered from and information sent from the same place with a broken wire (possibly)

I've been wanting to hear if you found the problem. Please post what you find. Sometimes just a lucky accidental bump while looking around can show where the problem is. Helps to have someone watching for a flicker of life in those gauges while you jiggle things around.