• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

oil out the dipstick??

If it wasnt for bad luck I wouldnt have any luck at all!... Now my 01 24 valve is spitting oil out the dipstick bad! I get a puffing noise from where you ad oil in the valve cover. Checked the puke box nothing wrong with it. What the heck is going on???:banghead: Is there another vent for the crank I am missing? Or could it be the vacuum pump again? It runs rough and smoking white. :banghead:

Sorry to say but its time to pull the head on that one. Sounds like a dead piston or a broken or dropped valve or guide or a combo of all. It is most common to see the compression out the dipstick first as the compression is forced down into the crankcase and the dipstick tube opening is really close to if not in the oil level so the dipstick is the easiest point to push out. The breather is up high on the front of the engine so other than seeing the excess vapors coming out the tube that will generally be the last place oil pukes out. Once the oil is over full from fuel and overheated from exhaust gasses going into the crankcase and the oil starts to froth thats when the oil will come out the breather. Generally happens when running with engine damage for a longer period of time.

• Like 1

How can I check the vacuum pump?

I wouldn't waste my time with the vacuum pump as you already narrowed it down by stating it smokes white and runs rough and you here the noise from the oil fill in the valve cover. It could be something as simple as an injector hold down coming loose and the injector not sealing in the head as well. This would cause the same symptoms. Not a common problem but it has happened. I would start with an injector removal and overhead valve inspection and work down from there.
  • Like 1

Time to pull off all the rocker arms and valve bridges and look over the valve stems really close and make sure all of the valve spring retainers are still in place. This is an indicator of a dropped valve, make sure all the valve stems are the same height and one isn't a bit higher than the rest indicating a dropped valve guide and the valve head is pulled up into the head a bit farther than the rest. If all look good then it time to pull the head and see what damage is done internal.:spend:

your going to have to do more than pull the valve cover off your going too need to pull the head off chances are you are going to find a bad piston.see it here at the shop 5-6 times a month. guy,s run them a bit too hot melt a piston ,burn a hole in one

It never got hot at all!!:shrug:

• Owner

Well that why I suggest the compression test because at least you'll get some sort of answer to this problem. Easier than pulling a head but tough to find the right tools to do it. (Test injector and compression gauge). But the guys are right if there is compressor blowing into the crankcase that badly it would push oil out anywhere...

• Like 2

i did not know you bought the truck new that being said you have a extreem amount of blow-by,thats why your oil is blowing out your dip stick.that is why you are going to need too pull the head too see i beleive you are going too find a hurt pistona hurt piston is the cause of all the windage in the botom end that windage or blow by is what is forcing you oil and blowing your dip-stick out

• Like 1

Again thank you for all the suggestions. I'm trying everything else before going to head. I have some I come in saturday to check the compression. In the meantime could possibly the turbo or vacuum pump be bad still if so how do I check the vacuum pump

--- Update to the previous post...

Again thank you for all the suggestions. I'm trying everything else before going to head. I have some I come in saturday to check the compression. In the meantime could possibly the turbo or vacuum pump be bad still if so how do I check the vacuum pump

The vacume pump can pressurize the crank case due to a failed seal... others already suggested that this is unlikely because of the puffing out the vent which you describe. The Vacume pump / PS assembly are gear driven on the driver's side. There's no way for the turbo to pressurize the crankcase.

• Like 2

• Owner

Flagmanruss is right... Turbo has no bearing on crankcase pressure... Vacuum pump might thought... The way you could test it is by capping off the vacuum nipple right at the vacuum pump and see if that reduces the blow by. This is a crude method once again but it might give a clue...Back to my idea of compression testing you could at that point do what called a leak down test which is where you pressurize each cylinder with air and see if the air comes out of differeplace like crankcase vent, intake, exhaust, etc. Of course this requires a barring tool and a way of locking the engine at TDC for each cylinder. Kind of defeats the test if the engine rolls over till a valve opens... :lol:

The vacume pump can pressurize the crank case due to a failed seal... others already suggested that this is unlikely because of the puffing out the vent which you describe.

The Vacume pump / PS assembly are gear driven on the driver's side.

There's no way for the turbo to pressurize the crankcase.

Flagmanruss is right... Turbo has no bearing on crankcase pressure...

Vacuum pump might thought... The way you could test it is by capping off the vacuum nipple right at the vacuum pump and see if that reduces the blow by. This is a crude method once again but it might give a clue...

Well gang if there is a hole in a piston the boost created by the turbo will definately presurize the crankcsae in short. The turbo itself will not affect it but once a hole is developed then its a different story, if you think normal compression will presurize it and push oil out just think of the amount of pressure and oil pushing out the dipstick caused by a little boost on top of it all in the crankcase. There doesn't even need to be a hole in the piston it could be broken or worn rings either way a turboed engine will have more cc pressure than a naturally aspirated engine

:whistle:

I am needing an explanation into the concept of a "Vacuum Pump" creating pressure.:shrug:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

if it was a valve you wouldnt be pressurizing the block and pushing oil out. could be a crack between the exhaust valves bad rings severe scoring of the cylinder piston might be toast? might be time to pull the head... i cant think of anything else

Ok, but what about a valva guide?