• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well I just had a bad day! While driving my truck passing someone up hill I lost all power so I coasted to the shoulder!:banghead: After checking for fuel at the injectors with #1 and #3 lines cracked loose and getting nothing I then went with the inlet line and broke it loose fuel sprayed everywhere! I called my buddy with his 2008 Chevy 1500 and with a tow strap we made it home!!!:banghead: Broke out the scanner and found a P0251 YIKES!!!:doh::banghead::doh: From what I found on this site that means I need a new VP44?!?!? :spend::shrug: Can someone please tell me I'm wrong??? If I'm not where is the best place to buy a new IP from? Thanks for the help in advance!

• Owner

I have heard here and elsewhere you can run a SO on a HO, but not a HO on a SO.

I heard that too but the results are mixed some say it works fine and other say it doesn't. Years ago I was saying the same then that I got slapped down for it... So I tend to say "Put back the right part if you want it to run right!" :thumbup2:
  • Like 2

Here is a test procedure... DTC P0251: FUEL INJECTION PUMP MECHANICAL FAILURE FUEL VALVE FEEDBACK CIRCUIT Give that a shot and hopefully its simple fix... But typically its a VP44 failure...

Well I ran thru the diagnosis process and everything checks out good! Thanks Mopar for the dummy proof step by step destruction's!:thumbup2: It is a good thing to know that at least the electrical side is good, now I must save up the cash to order a new pump! Or p-pump??? Anyone on this site done this or have any experience with a 24v that's been p-pumped?

• Owner

P7100 is better for power and longevity... But it will cost you dearly to convert to it. There is a minor down side of the static timing in other words timing is fixed compared to VP44 with dynamic timing that varies with weather and road conditions. (I know I'll hear from ISX on this :lol:)You also got to remember all the little thing too like throttle linkage is not part of the kit. Also your injectors have to be re-popped to match the pressures of a P7100 which is lower if I'm not mistaken. Change the cam or pull rthe cam to change the gear case plus consider installing the mechanic lift pump or going with a AirDog for P7100. Lots and lots of things to spend money on and so much work has to go into conversion...I still say VP44 is still worth it.

I dunno.Id definately look into the p-pump. Huge power and easy tuning.Dont think its that expensive to convert - but not 100% sure. I see complete kits on CF often for around $1500-$1900 minus the pump.Your core would fetch some money and so would any electronic programmers which would be useless.So you may be in it for $3000 - then get $1000 back on vp stuff ...... so $2000 all up instead of $1000 vp.just a thought I have in back of my head if my vp ever goes ......

$1900.00 on a kit ,$1700.00 on a pump = 3600.00 plus miss and labor if you cant do it yourself . vp44 pump under a 1000.00. unless you got lots of cash the vp is the way to go for most who need there trucks for everyday trans for work ect. we do 2-3 converts a month here at the shop ,but it is for a very small group of guys looking to make the bigger numbers on the rollers or who are going pulling play toys . getting a 1000.00 for your old vp stuff i could use that phone number i got 30-35 cores here i would sell.

Don't have the note anymore, sorry. He wasn't offering much, but it was better than a poke in the eye with a stick. I did better selling it to a gambler in IN. I suspected it was good but had no way to test it. He paid me $250 and it made his truck run again. we both made out.