• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Folks - I began having issues a few weeks ago and I've done a lot of research on the VP symptoms/diagnosis option to rule the VP in/out as my problem. My mechanic will run the codes with scanner tomorrow when it goes in and replace vp if he agrees, but I'd like to get other opinions as well.Truck has a Fass fuel pump and pressure guage reads 19-21 at idle and no lower than 14 at WOT. Started a week after I bought it. On cold start and go situations, it would not get out of its own way. It would clear up after a few miles and rip like normal.It was recommended that I warm it up for 5-10 minutes before driving when cold out. Wont pretend to know why it was suggested, but I went with it and seemed to be working (or just coincidence) as it didn't happen any more for about a week.Then began to randomly have what I will call "dead pedal". It doesn't matter time of day / outside air temp / or if the truck is cold or up to temp. I will be driving along and driving fine, then I go to accelerate up a hill and it will maintain rpm but wont increase and truck slowly looses speed up the hill. Once over the top of the hill, it will regain, but still won't get up and go like it should.However, that said, sometimes I can let off the throttle for a little bit and get back into it and it will rip again.Codes at this time have only been read with the key trick/not a scanner. PCM is 1693 (not helpful) and 0500 (bald tires lol). ECM is 1693, 0380 and 0216.Anyone have any saving graces or agree its the VP :broke:? Thanks,Bill

I did check the code references. 0500 is from spinning the bald tires during the last snow fall (i'm guessing). 0380 is Intake Air Relay something or other so I don't believe it was related to my issue, but I could be wrong.216 is the code I didn't want to see lol, but it's there. When I compare my issue with those of all the posts I've read here and other sites (as well as blue chip?? diagnosis post), it seemed more a vp issue. Apps may also be an issue but so far I'm leaning toward vp.

If your VP is original OEM then its likely that it is the VP and you should almost just be happy that the OEM VP lasted this long. The dead pedal could be the APPS or it could also be the FPCM computer on the VP. If the VP is an OEM model then I'm sure it has its fair share of hot cycles which can cause the computer to do things like what you're describing. There are lots of upgrades the VP has had done over the past decade and one of those being the brass timing piston sleeve was changed to steel. Running the fuel pressure you currently are, I'm betting that your new VP will last for the life of the truck. Just be sure that where you get your VP can guarantee that the VP has all the most current upgrade and comes with a brand new computer.

• Like 1

If your VP is original OEM then its likely that it is the VP and you should almost just be happy that the OEM VP lasted this long. The dead pedal could be the APPS or it could also be the FPCM computer on the VP. If the VP is an OEM model then I'm sure it has its fair share of hot cycles which can cause the computer to do things like what you're describing. There are lots of upgrades the VP has had done over the past decade and one of those being the brass timing piston sleeve was changed to steel. Running the fuel pressure you currently are, I'm betting that your new VP will last for the life of the truck. Just be sure that where you get your VP can guarantee that the VP has all the most current upgrade and comes with a brand new computer.

Once again...thanks everyone! I appreciate the help. I truley know nothing about these cummins motors and I'm learning a lot. It was the original VP. I got the truck back this weekend and I've put about 200 miles on it since. Completely different truck. To save some money I was going to attempt the install with a buddy, but I changed my mind obviously, because I couldn't afford to have the truck down for too long. I didn't ask my mechanic what vendor he used, but he said the same thing you did KATOOM in regards to using VPs that have the most current upgrades and electronics, as well as the life of the VP since it has after market pump/fuel pressure guage. On a lighter note, glad it's out of the way and hope I can get to the body work some time soon (needs a lot of work!!! :doh: )
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

AND....just like that...it's not running right again. Began with delays shifting into overdrive and now it's in and out the whole ride home last night. My shop had advised it was on it's way out but $$ had me waiting...not anymore lol.Looking at the Timbo Apps to save a little but wanted to see if anyone here did a write up on the install and or had any tips/tricks/pics. I did a search and didn't see much (or simply missed it) and didn't see one in the Articles. I did find the Article on the Suncoast re-wire of the ground.Thanks for any help folks....hope all are having a great day...the snow can stop and bring on spring any time now :whistle:

• Owner

AND....just like that...it's not running right again. Began with delays shifting into overdrive and now it's in and out the whole ride home last night. My shop had advised it was on it's way out but $$ had me waiting...not anymore lol. Looking at the Timbo Apps to save a little but wanted to see if anyone here did a write up on the install and or had any tips/tricks/pics. I did a search and didn't see much (or simply missed it) and didn't see one in the Articles. I did find the Article on the Suncoast re-wire of the ground. Thanks for any help folks....hope all are having a great day...the snow can stop and bring on spring any time now :whistle:

Got you covered... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/26-engine-systems/39-timbos-apps-installing
  • Like 1

Had hoped I wouldn't have to do it since the code were gone after the VP44 install, but they came back..so be it. Now for the leaks (again!!!). This time it's from the tale of the transfer case...seal didn't work so onto more expensive fixes.Stacks are gone too as of Friday...only took 6+ hours to remove stacks and install 4 inch system...holy rust/rot...thank goodness for good friends with the right tools a lift and free labor!