• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

DEF and Reburner

hex0rz

So here is our departments new fire engine apparatus:

Posted Image

Purdy right? Just had to show her off to you guys!

I do not know the specs on it yet, but I can say it has an International diesel in it. It is definitely alot diff. in how it runs compared to the good ol' cummins sound. She drives like a dream, I would say. BUT there is an acute difference with this engine and the others.

New vehicles have to meet that pesky ol' EPA emissions standard now that require 83% less NOx emissions. Manufacturers are resorting to the good ol' Urea or you might as well call it ____, to lower those emissions to meet that EPA standard. FRANKLY, I find that quit annoying to have to refill a tank on top of the diesel fuel just to get it down the road.

Not to mention how easily you can screw things up if you're not careful. ON TOP of that, I find it intrusive that if you do not keep up on the DEF, you can be left stranded somewhere and your vehicle will not run, or will run on a limited basis. Wow, being controlled by the good ol' EPA, once again!

So, our departments mechanic is a friggin' genius as I would say. He goes down to take a look at how this thing is coming and putting in his input on the design. Instead of going with that darned DEF fluid, he decides to use a reburner!

I can't find information on it right now, but it is a HELL of alot better than using DEF! Especially when you have to replace the cat converter. Its 2k a pop for one! Mind you, the simplicity and reliability of the reburner is much better than DEF, it still has to be taken care of. If you drive it for it for an extended period of time or idle long, it needs a cool down period. Just like our turbochargers do when we got her spooled up hot.

Anyways, just thought I would share that, and have also wondered myself why other auto makers have not gone with this instead of the damned DEF. :whistle:

• Owner

Beautiful trucks! :cool:On ford truck the DEF (Urea) fill is right next to the fuel tank. One guy mess up and put the urea in the fuel tank and ruined a engine. :rolleyes:As for the whole diesel emmision standar thing... :cookoo: But I would look into to it if it can be done... Or like some other fire dept have done is use smaller injectors. :rolleyes:

Haha, and they lose all the power needed to get into those tight areas. I could see it being beneficial if it was just on a city street where its all paved and rarely hills.Rural departments, ha! You need the power to carry all that water, gear, men up those roads!I really despise the EPA... :nono: