• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone heard of...

hex0rz

the fire piston? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_piston I'm thinking about this whole thing and wondering how I can make a larger version and using a hatchet instead of your hand to ignite larger fuels. It fascinates me. How much compression do I need? How fast does it need to be? How hot does the temps get? There is a science behind this that I'm dying to know! :smart:

• Owner

the fire piston? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_piston I'm thinking about this whole thing and wondering how I can make a larger version and using a hatchet instead of your hand to ignite larger fuels. It fascinates me. How much compression do I need? How fast does it need to be? How hot does the temps get? There is a science behind this that I'm dying to know! :smart:

All listed right there on wikipedia...

How much compression do I need?

Fire pistons have a compression ratio of about 25 to 1. The piston of the firepiston is made deliberately narrow so that the force on the piston is not too great to make it impossible for unaided human strength to compress the air in the cylinder to its fullest extent.

How fast does it need to be?

Rapid compression of a gas (known as adiabatic compression) increases its pressure and its temperature at the same time. If this compression is done too slowly the heat will dissipate to the surroundings as the gas returns to equilibrium with them.

How hot does the temps get?

The compression of the air when the piston is quickly rammed into the cylinder causes the interior temperature to rise sharply to 260°C (500°F).

Sorry! :doh: I just grabbed the link and did not bother to read!I find it a very secure way to make fire when needed. Not needing anything but some dry fuel and you got it! A very surefire thing to have for those of us who go in the remote areas for whatever.I would like to make mine from SS or aluminum and about 2" in diameter. About 12" long or so as well. Have not done the math on it yet, but it would be the right size or so. With the diameter in account, I was thinking of using a hatchet to attain the required force the rapid compression needed. We shall see!

• Owner

I want one now...Things pretty sweet. Ill add it to my collection of tactical lights, guns , knifes and other stuff I think i need for zombies! :cookoo:

:lmao2::lmao: Don't have much problems with the zombies... It the wildlife out here you got to worry about... This big wolf was shot in New Meadows, ID... :stuned:post-2-138698182435_thumb.jpg So it would be nice to add the fire piston too my search and rescue bags for my ATV... Just in case I spend the night... But I typically carry a 9mm with me in the woods for the wildlife...

:gun: I say kill all the wolves! We don't need them damned canines in our neck of the woods screwing things up! I imagine the wolves have been thicker down in your neck of the woods, moparman, than mine. We visited the relatives down in the Kamiah area and all I could see were signs talking about how the wolves have decimated their wild game population...Any time I go into the woods, I carry my pistol, and atleast a rifle or shotgun with slugs. Sometimes both! Wolves, grizzlies, cougars, bigfoot... You don't mess around!BTW, the wolves that are making a fuss here in our state is the Canadian Shield wolf. These wolves are not indigenous to the area and are native to the yukons of Canada!If the bunny huggers want their wolves, get rid of the CS wolf and reintroduce the native grey wolf! :soap:

Here is a cat that was tagged in North Bend Washington which is about 40-50 miles east of Seattle.Generally these leave you alone if you are out in the woods. They are hunted with hounds. But there have been cases where these cats have attacked farm animals and pets. If winters are really bad then they move in closer to human life and pick off the farm stuff.There are cases in Califormia (where they are not allowed to be hunted) where these cats have killed joggers. This thing was huge. It looked like in belonged in the African plains.post-11041-138698182526_thumb.jpg