• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is a hx40 big enough for 80 to 100 hp injectors????

This little inline filter was only $5 or so and the GDP settup is a little more.:tongue:

I wonder what the filtration is on the stock canister filter? So many post about this for 3rd gens but never seen one for us.

i believe i heard its either 2micron or 5 micron. see fuel cleanness is not as much as an issue as it with any CR engine. our injectors operate at 4,500psi, the CR engine because they are a single common rail operate closer to 20,000psi, so anythign that can be an issue like water, rust or gunk can really have an impact.
  • Like 1

Ya, I had an issue with injectors on my 03 a time or two but I didnt think that the filters for 2nd gens filtered that low.:shrug:

I know that both Air Dogg and FASS don't have filters that filter as low as the one on our engines do. the Stock replacement F/W separator is 144 micron, which is way to big, thus why some use the Baldwin 1212. Where is AHD when you need him:lol:
  • Like 1

So i emailed fass. They say the pump i have will run 72 gph at 18 psi. Is this enough if I add the prefilter and pressure gauge.

This number sounds about correct, the DDRP runs about 2.5 times the stock volume. If you don't have larger fuel lines i would move up to them now, when you add your pre-filter. a good F/W separator will do you good. your flow restriction to the Vp-44 will be through the fuel lines from the tank to your VP-44, through the stock housing.

I dont know what the prefilter will take away but the gauge should not affect your pressure.

good negative side pre-filter shouldn't be more then 1-2 psi at the most, he might see 16-17 psi at idle instead of 18 he sees now, as long as his normal operating psi is above 14.5psi he will be fine:thumbup2:
  • Like 1

• Owner

i believe i heard its either 2micron or 5 micron. see fuel cleanness is not as much as an issue as it with any CR engine. our injectors operate at 4,500psi, the CR engine because they are a single common rail operate closer to 20,000psi, so anythign that can be an issue like water, rust or gunk can really have an impact.

Actually the 4,500 PSI is idle pressure for a VP44... VP44 pumps are capible of 18,000-20,000 PSI (Some where around there). Common Rail can reach above 20,000 PSI to about 25,000 PSI the injector bodies start to crack.
  • Like 1

Actually the 4,500 PSI is idle pressure for a VP44... VP44 pumps are capible of 18,000-20,000 PSI (Some where around there). Common Rail can reach above 20,000 PSI to about 25,000 PSI the injector bodies start to crack.

it was my understanding that the 4,500 psi is the pop pressure, as if you take 4,500psi and times it by 6 injectors you get a number like 27,000psi total, that i always assumed the pump had to make in order to feed all 6 lines the proper pop pressure???