• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bio Diesel Fuel 2010 Ram 3500

Owners Manual for 2010 3500 6.7 states "Don't use Diesel Fuel with more than 5% Bio. Wal-Mart is selling diesel fuel (sticker on the pump) saying it may contain 5% to 20% Bio. Is it OK to use the Wal-Mart diesel in 2010 6.7? The reason I used this section of the forum, the 6.7 section doesn't seem to get much response. Mohok

• Owner

Well both Cummins and Dodge don't suggest anything above 20% because of the water problem with Bio. I remember seeing a document about if your to use fuels above this you needed to upgrade you fuel seperator to handle it better. In any case I would upgrade the fuel filter to a 2-3 micron. Common rails don't like dirty fuel at all... :whistle:

First of all, what in the world are you thinking? Buying walmart fuel? :cookoo:We had a walmart fuel station here, and it NEVER saw business. Walmart carries the fuel that collects on the bottom of every fuel stations tank!Especially steer clear when they have a bio-fuel blend in it! I can't imagine what that fuel quality is like. There is a reason walmart has not done well in the fuel supply sector. They need to stick to the other imported goods.IF you absolutely INSIST on using their fuel, do yourself a favor first. Collect a gallon of the fuel, pour a quart of it in a glass mason jar and let it settle at room temp for a few hours. After, put it in the refrigerator at a temp of less than 45 degrees F. See if the fuel gels, and if there is any layering of the fuel. Water, oil, diesel fuel do not mix. This should give you some idea of their fuel quality. Especially look for any particulate.I do not ever plan on using bio-blended fuel from a pump. Sure, they are all supposed to be ATSM fuel rated, but bio is a big to do. Production of large volumes of the stuff leaves large room for error. Doing it yourself when well educated helps you oversee the whole process for quality management.

Maybe certain areas are different. I use Walmart fuel all the time. Their station is called "Optima" however, my receipt from the pump says Sunoco on it. In my area Walmart sells more fuel to heavy trucks than anyone else locally. All of the county school buses fill up there as well. I haven't noticed a bio diesel sticker on the pump. I will look the next time I fill up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

Mopar

can you elaborate on " both Cummins and Dodge don't suggest anything above 20% because of the water problem with Bio"

are you saying there are traces of water in bio mixes.

During the time of producing BioDiesel the fuel must be washed with water to remove the gycerin from the fuel. So alot of home brewers get a sloppy about get the water drained of and manufactures also in the pass had issues with quality control. So Mopar and Cummins set the limit of 20% because below that level it mostly petroleum diesel and the chances of get large amount of water is thinned down.

I'm not a pro of making Bio but listened to plenty of tales of production and read up on Dodge/Cummins specs of using it.

Here is what happens if you don't wash the fuel properly...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image