• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hey Angus didn't mean to come off as being upset. The truck being down after I just purchased it for 10k has got me a bit on the down side. 10k is a heck of a lot of money for me. :banghead: Being without my truck has made the situation tense to say the least. But I appreciate you offering any help. It just reminded me we have to take everything with a grain of salt. Got to get a inch pound torque wrench today and see if I can adjust those bands. I have a feeling I have bigger problems but I have to give it a shot.

Its cool, my son was in the same boat not very long ago. most of my experience over the years has been with older GM stuff. Now that I am a Dodge/Cummins fan This is a great place to talk to guys who have "been there done that". I can see it is not helpful to have someone jumping to blind conclusions.

It would be good to hear if a band adjustment & fluid change will get you going At least till you are ready to go all through it. Good luck!

• Staff

Latest information is that a local guy wants $1800 for a rebuild. Says he drives the same truck and will warranty it for 36 months.

Sounds okay but, I always feel better knowing I have the right guy with a known reputation doin' my trans. He could be real real good but one mistake can make for :spend::doh:BTW, I've been told that power flushes on an auto trans is a big bad idea.. So I don't do it.

Ok got the bands adjusted, now I need to install new filter and gasket and add fluid. Due to work and other obligations I've had to work on the truck in like 20-30 minute increments. Hopefully tonight I'll get his all taken care of. Also curious as to how many of you have stage 3's kits on your trannys? This guy I talked to dismissed my request to build the tranny with me removing and re-installing as well so not sure I want to use him if it comes to that.

--- Update to the previous post...

Ok got everything buttoned up on the tranny with the new filter and fluid. Truck improved significantly but still will not shift into 3rd gear. Between 1 and 2 its smooth and is fine but thats it. Reverse is good now to. Not sure how to proceed.:duh:

1800 for fresh rebuild isn't terrible as it's a 10-14 hour job including tear down- the kits around 500 ..... Depends what they are doing with bands and apply lever and solenoids 2500-2700 for a semi built trans with single. Convertor you do the work4000-6000 for full build

Oh and the screw that had fallen out was from the shuttle valve cover according to a 01 manual I'm reading.

Ok changed the speed sensor and went for a drive. Still won't shift into 3rd, sometimes 2nd as well. RPM's are like pegged at 2000 speed of truck gradually increase and its almost like when it reaches the right speed it will shift. I have to nurse it at times also. Backing off the gas will sometimes allow it to shift. I'm still at a loss. Oh and I checked and for some reason still have the 0500 course I didn't clear the codes. Again also my VP44 is on its way out.

Oh and the screw that had fallen out was from the shuttle valve cover according to a 01 manual I'm reading.

Ok changed the speed sensor and went for a drive. Still won't shift into 3rd, sometimes 2nd as well. RPM's are like pegged at 2000 speed of truck gradually increase and its almost like when it reaches the right speed it will shift. I have to nurse it at times also. Backing off the gas will sometimes allow it to shift. I'm still at a loss. Oh and I checked and for some reason still have the 0500 course I didn't clear the codes. Again also my VP44 is on its way out.

Is the transmission slipping? Or is it just a shifting issue? If you have a good sevice manual it might discribe what controls the shift points , and how to trouble shot. I can`t be much help other than that, cuz all I have ever worked on were older non-computer controlled trans

im cutting and pasting what i have saved from a file that is going to become a write up some day....

HAS FIRST/REVERSE ONLY (NO 1-2 OR 2-3 UPSHIFT)

1. Governor Circuit Electrical Fault. 1. Test using DRB® scan tool and repair as required.

2. Valve Body Malfunction. 2. Repair stuck 1-2 shift valve or governor plug.

3. Front Servo/Kickdown Band Damaged/Burned. 3. Repair/replace.

NO 3-4 UPSHIFT

1. O/D Switch In OFF Position.

1. Turn control switch to ON position.

2. Overdrive Circuit Fuse Blown. 2. Replace fuse. Determine why fuse failed and repair as necessary (i.e., shorts or grounds in circuit).

3. O/D Switch Wire Shorted/Open Cut. 3. Check wires/connections with 12V test lamp and voltmeter. Repair damaged or loose wire/connection as necessary.

4. Distance or Coolant Sensor Malfunction. 4. Check with DRB® scan tool and repair or replace as necessary.

5. TPS Malfunction. 5. Check with DRB® scan tool and replace if necessary.

6. Neutral Sense to PCM Wire Shorted/Cut. 6. Test switch/sensor as described in service section and replace if necessary. Engine no start.

7. PCM Malfunction. 7. Check with DRB® scan tool and replace if necessary.

8. Overdrive Solenoid Shorted/Open. 8. Replace solenoid if shorted or open and repair loose or damaged wires (DRB® scan tool).

9. Solenoid Feed Orifice in Valve Body Blocked. 9. Remove, disassemble, and clean valve body thoroughly. Check feed orifice.

10. Overdrive Clutch Failed. 10. Disassemble overdrive and repair as needed.

11. Hydraulic Pressure Low. 11. Pressure test transmission to determine cause.

12. Valve Body Valve Stuck. 12. Repair stuck 3-4 shift valve, 3-4 timing valve.

13. O/D Piston Incorrect Spacer. 13. Remove unit, check end play and install correct spacer.

14. Overdrive Piston Seal Failure. 14. Replace both seals.

15. O/D Check Valve/Orifice Failed. 15. Check for free movement and secure assembly (in piston retainer). Check ball bleed orifice.

STUCK IN LOW GEAR (WILL NOT UPSHIFT)

1. Throttle Linkage Mis-adjusted/Stuck. 1. Adjust linkage and repair linkage if worn or damaged. Check for binding cable or missing return spring.

2. Gearshift Linkage Mis-adjusted. 2. Adjust linkage and repair linkage if worn or damaged.

3. Governor Component Electrical Fault. 3. Check operating pressures and test with DRB® scan tool, repair faulty component.

4. Front Band Out of Adjustment. 4. Adjust Band.

5. Clutch or Servo Malfunction. 5. Air pressure check operation of clutches and bands. Repair faulty component.

CREEPS IN NEUTRAL

1. Gearshift Linkage Mis-adjusted. 1. Adjust linkage.

2. Rear Clutch Dragging/Warped. 2. Disassemble and repair.

3. Valve Body Malfunction. 3. Perform hydraulic pressure test to determine cause and repair as required.

Hope this helps.

As for band adjustment

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/transmission/automatic/AT_band_adj.htm

Also i would talk to one of the reputable builders here DTT Goerend etic and see what they have going.

i know stephan @DTT always has a deal going on i think they were selling billet single disk trannys and a general rebuild for something like 2,800 something like that let me look...

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/dtt-diesel-transmission-technology/439277-winter-transmission-parts-sale-must-see.html

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/dtt-diesel-transmission-technology/433581-want-build-your-trans-budget.html

If not talk to him tell him John from NJ (ie pepsi) sent ya.

If money is super tight i would buy a stock dodge rebuild buy a built VB and TC and call it a day should cost you like 3,000 when done, or for the extra 1,000 have it done for you.

Sad fact is by the time in done writing this i'll have my transmission write up done.

Well I decided to have the thing rebuilt. Its in the shop right now and I'm anxiously awaiting to get her back. Guy doing the rebuild is an honest guy and is giving me a year warranty on the repair. I'd like more but pretty much around here its a one year warranty. Hope it comes out well! :pray:

Well I decided to have the thing rebuilt. Its in the shop right now and I'm anxiously awaiting to get her back. Guy doing the rebuild is an honest guy and is giving me a year warranty on the repair. I'd like more but pretty much around here its a one year warranty. Hope it comes out well! :pray:

if you tell him what your plans are, and what your doing im sure he can accommodate, and if not tell him you did some research into the matter.