• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

96 CAD Axle issues

• Owner

Ok gang...Time to pick your brain a bit. My 1996 dodge Ram 1500 has a CAD axle under it. This morning heading towards Donnelly, ID it was only 15*F and slick. So climbing Goose Creek grade I figured I'd lock the 4WD and be safe. Once it locked and the 4WD light came on it just whined the whole way. :wow: So Near the top I push the stick back 2WD and the CAD remain locked for a bit long but still whined... The POP! CAD released and whine is gone...I remember I checked the gear oil last month and it was full and clean and the Transfer case was full and clean too. So my thought is u-joints??? :shrug:CAD axle are new to me... Haven't played with them much yet... :rolleyes:

Well there really isn't that many places to check for the problem since its only when in 4wd. Places to check would be right at the cad (which I doubt), one of the front drive shaft U-joints, or the t-case itself. Since you say its coming from up front my best guess would be once of the U joints on the drive shaft, since as long as the CAD is locked in the front drive-shaft is turning and when the CAD is unlocked the front drive-shaft doesn't turn.

I don't see how it popped like that. It is just a piece of crap coupling with vacuum pressure driving it, not a high pressure turbo booster. It's like there was a difference of speed between either side of the coupling, like you have 2 different sized tires on it or something causing the stress that would make it bang when it finally unlocked. The whining was the open differential going nuts. Thing is, I doubt you have different sizes on the front.

• Owner

I was climbing Goose Creek grade (7%).

All the same size tires 235/85 R16's (wore out)

I guess I can fire it up this morning and take a little ride with a video camera. :wink:

--- Update to the previous post...

Ok... So a slid under the truck today with my creeper and check the u-joint and there is just a small amount of movement in the driveshaft in one direction but not in the other direction (90* worth of turn). So I'm going to assume this is my whine I'm hearing... I check the differential oil and its full and golden color yet.

I guess its time to hit the part store again... :spend:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how you are making out. My 01.5... limited slip axles under it. I went into 5 high to bump up onto the town green where we were setting up a historical exhibit. Thought the extra traction would prevent tearing up the grass. I unloaded, pulled the truck over next to the pavement.... backed up, packed up, pulled out. I guess I didn't go straight enough. No way could I get it out of 4 high, bound up tight. I could not turn & the truck hopped like a big bunny. Eventually I relieved the stress & it came right out of 4 wd. Really freaky! Do you suppose it could be bound up?

• Owner

Well as for the noise its the slip joint in the shaft is going south. I managed to change the u-joints yesterday and made a few runs with the 4WD locked and it would only start howling about 55 MPH and above. But I got fresh tight U-joints now so I know its not that but the slip joint was just a tick loose. :rolleyes:Well since its a CAD system and I normally don't run 4WD I'll get some use from that shaft yet... Maybe get luck and find another shaft... Who knows...:shrug:@ Russ as for the binding up that typical for both of the trucks... Usually I get them unbound by either feather out the throttle to get slack or roll forward and backwards a bit and it usually releases. As for release under load the 96 still makes quite a thump when the CAD releases...