• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AD 100 filter change tips??

Last time I replaced the fuel filter on my air dog 100 I lost alot of fuel. What do you guys do to make it easier to change the filter. Put a clamp on the hoses ?? When I'm at it I have a 17 pound spring to put in as well.Just looking for tips so I don't lose a few gallons of fuel like I did last time:banghead:

• Staff

I got tired of that too. Besides loosing prime it was a pain in the:moon:. So I installed two brass shut off ball valves, one on each side of the filter and fuel pump (they are seperate on mine) so I could easily change out the filter and/or the lift pump if needed. The ball valves are 1/2 inch so no restriction.:thumbup2:

got it done today. I used a couple pairs of vise grips with tape on the jaws to gently squeeze the hoses flatish.Anyways where did you get the ball valves from and how did you couple the fuel hoses to them. I want to get all the parts together for the next time I do a filter change.:thumbup2:

• Staff

I went to a place that had a whole rack of various brass plumbing fittings. I grabbed two 1/2'' ball valves and found the barbed fittings that threaded into each end of the valves. Next I just cut the fuel lines wherever a good spot was for the valve handle to be able to swing open/ closed and clamped onto the barbed fittings using stainless hose clamps. Barbed fittings are male fittings designed to go into rubber hose and not slip off.That's the best way. Because Before, I had it hard plumbed the valve to the filter on one side and hard plumbed to the lift pump on the other and found it used to many fittings and had fuel weeping out even though I used Permatex thread sealant. It was a problem with the close nipples, to be able to adapt, being non tapered threads with the valves being tapered. Just go as few fittings as possible and put a short piece of fuel hose in between the valves and your pump /filter on ea. side. Stay all tapered threading easy with barbed hose fittings, and you'll be all right.:thumbup2:

• Like 1

• Staff

Thanks Jag. I'll start peeping around for the stuff I need. Does it matter if the ball valves are brass or stainless? Luke

Luke, I don't think it matters. SS. is more for chemicals. Mopar Mike I have used the vise grips too but never seem to get it right to stop the fuel.