• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Great Snow Goose Hunting Weekend in SEMO

dorkweed

Go here guys. That's my dog "Spud" and I on the left in the one picture. He's the good looking one!!!:lmao2::lmao: Gonna try it again in a couple weeks!!:thumbup2: Got a real tired dog today. I've got a bunch of birds to clean now also!!:cool: www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=890683

Yeah, it was a real good weekend!!! I brought home 25 birds, and got 18-19 cleaned so far. Gonna do the rest tomorrow, as they're on ice and it'll not be "warm" here. The other 5 guys took the rest.57 birds on Sat. and 81 birds on Sunday!!:thumb1: Spud probably did more retrieves on Sat.........35+maybe. Sunday we used him more for the long sailers or if there were only a couple birds down in the spread and we weren't hustling to cover back up because more birds were coming in. Still he probably did at least 30 retrieves on Sunday.:thumbup2:You "snow goose" hunt in Idaho??!!!:shrug: Didn't think they were that far West.:smart:

Sky Carp.:doh: I don't think the starving homeless around here would eat that stuff.:lmao: Just kidding looks like it was a great hunt.

I truly don't know where or how that got started??!!! Snow goose is awesome table-fare................provided you don't over-cook it, dress the birds relatively promptly, and use quality seasoning. Culinary skills for real wild game is getting to be a lost skill in this country; with the era of McFood, Taco Hell, convenience stores etc. I actually believe the flesh/meat of snow geese takes spice rubs and marinades better than Canada geese (not Canadians:smart:) do. At least in my "never to be humble opinion.:2cents: As I type this, my freezers have elk, Canada goose, various wild ducks, a few fish filets, pheasant, chuckar, and now snow goose...............all which was procured and processed by myself!! That's the protein sources...........I also have frozen beans, tomatoes, various types of peppers, and horseradish...............all of which was grown in my veggie garden. If squash and cucumbers froze well; they'd be in the freezer also!!!:smart: I also have 2 varieties of wild mushrooms in there also. About all I buy at the grocery stores are milk, eggs, bacon, some veggies (that don't grow well in my garden), fruit, bread, coffee, tea, toilet paper:thumbup2: Heck, people don't even know how to cut up a whole chicken anymore on the outside chance they buy one!!!!:cookoo:

• Owner

Culinary skills for real wild game is getting to be a lost skill in this country; with the era of McFood, Taco Hell, convenience stores etc.

So very true... Most kids today don't know the first thing about cooking. I'm no Chief Boy R Dee but I can at least cook a good meal if need be without using a microwave or something in a box. That means breaking out the measuring cup, measuring spoons, etc. and doing the hard way from scratch. Yes I know know to use a cookbook... :wink:

• Staff

Culinary skills for real wild game is getting to be a lost skill in this country; with the era of McFood, Taco Hell, convenience stores etc.

Very true! I am amazed at what some of our friends feed their kids. My kids prefer Elk to Beef, and Salmon above just about anything. Thou a freezer full of Elk, Deer, 1/4 beef (much better than anything store bought), 100+lbs of local chicken breasts, and Wild Alaskan Salmon will kinda ruin your palette for boxed food and anything but home cooking. Nearly every meal in our house is the "made from scratch" variety, thou it's just normal cooking to us. This unseasonably warm/sunny weather already has me thinking about camping and what were going to put in the garden this year.

If we ever had a real SHTF scenario in this country, there'd be anarchy in the cities in short order. The main reason being people don't know how to keep, prepare and if need be procure food if it doesn't come from a store and it's not wrapped in plastic. I take great pride knowing that I can do this.

Granted, I don't live in a "free state" which encourages this type of thinking, but I know it. I learned it mainly from my Mom and her Father (my Grandpa). Grandpa (born 1909) learned it from his Mother who grew up in Poland pre-WW 1. A friend of mine married a Polish "female dog" a while back, and it was incredible the of knowledge her family had about the history of their country, survival skills, what's been posted here etc. .............thanks to communism.

The reason I go there............how are most cities essentially run????? Just like the old Soviet Union and their satellite countries in the "cold war" era. Dumb down the masses to control them, and make them accustomed to living with an ever present government at your doorstep.

--- Update to the previous post...

Also, on this trip, I promised y'all a mileage report.:pant:

I didn't get out as early as I had hoped on Friday. I got a "so called" emergency call from a client, so I went down to the barn with my work trailer........but with my truck loaded for the trip down to SEMO. Anyhow, got the emergency taken care of, dropped the work trailer at the barn (gonna work there the following week), and head to the P's to drop my little brown dog off with them. I didn't want to take two dogs........although seeing that Spud was the "only" dog there........I should have brought the pup with.

All that said, when I left the P's, I needed fuel, so I fuel up 1/2 mile from the P's house. Drove to Sikestone, MO.......about 390 miles or so. Only drove my truck about 10-12 miles once in Sikeston both days, because the guide wanted me to ride with him out to the hunting area. Worked for me!! I did drive to get ice for the birds on Sat. for the guys and I also drove Doug(guide) and I to a great BBQ place in Sikeston to eat Sat. evening.

After hunting Sunday, Doug drove me back to the motel........and the rest of the guys followed and picked up their stuff which we stored in my truck while we hunted on Sunday.........because we'd all checked out of our rooms earlier in the AM before we'd left to go hunt.

I left Sikeston and drove all the way to Effingham, IL before I fueled up. I had 582 miles on the tank, and the "low fuel" dinger had just gone off about 10 miles before I stopped. Hand calculated mileage from when I fueled up near the P's to when I refueled in Effingham was 19.1mpg. I kept Mighty Whitey at about 68mph or 2000rpm's going down from the P's. On way back, I kept her at 65mph because of all the Illinois State troopers I was seeing.

On the ride home, I especially didn't want to get pulled over because of the "game" I had in the truck.................just in case Mr. Trooper wanted to play Mr. Napolean and be a ____.

So, 19.1mpg on this trip........on winter fuel!!:thumbup2: