• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

06 cummins electrical probs

ok my neighbor at my appartment just bought a 06 2500 and all weekend it did great but thisevening he started having issues first he said that randomly at idle weather warm or cold his voltage will start dropping then he said his fain quit and that if you turn the truck off with head lights on then try to turn them off the parking lights will stay on any ideas as to what this could be caused from i feel bad for him sence he jus bought it friday and is already having probs

ok my neighbor at my appartment just bought a 06 2500 and all weekend it did great but thisevening he started having issues first he said that randomly at idle weather warm or cold his voltage will start dropping then he said his fain quit and that if you turn the truck off with head lights on then try to turn them off the parking lights will stay on any ideas as to what this could be caused from i feel bad for him sence he jus bought it friday and is already having probs

I dont know hte 06 2500 but i will take a stab at it. My wife has an 06 Dakota, if you shut the engine off with the lights on they will stay on for 30 to 60 seconds. If the 06 2500 has grid heaters they will cycle on and off at cold temps outside and pull the volt meter down while running. the truck might be warm but the intake air temp will be down causin them to run and pull the volts down. As far as the fan is concerned, Mine does not run unless the engine gets hot or you have just started it and the liquid in the fan clutch needs to be warmed for it to disengage. Teh fan does not run all the time. Alot of this sounds normal for an 02 except for the lights. someone else will correct me if I am wrong.

got that right on the ford:lmao:any who idk he told me about it as i was leaving for work so i didnt have to to look at it plus im not to knowlagble on the 3rd gens either:doh: if it had been a 2nd gen id prob been more of a use instead of a deer in headlights:stuned: ill try and get to talk to asap to get a better understanding as to what is doing oh i for got to say he thinks the truck has been chip at some time but removed it also has the triple guages 5in straight pipe and cold air intake brand of each idk yet but i was like you on the grid heaters be the cause due to he bought it fri and it had been warm up untill yesterday when the prob started:truck:

--- Update to the previous post...

okay he got his problem figures out well wasnt even a prob to begin with it was just normal he was familar with the cummins :doh:lol:lmao:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes my grid heater cycles the voltage indicator, makes me nervous, but now I ignore it as normal operation.

--- Update to the previous post...

That is how you get the lights to say on while walking to the door, tell him to enjoy the feature.

... if you turn the truck off with head lights on then try to turn them off the parking lights will stay on ....

Outside of the normal on and off use, this is per the 2006 owners manual ...

Battery Saver

To protect the life of your vehicle’s battery, Load Shed-ding is provided for both the interior and exterior lights.

If the ignition is off and any door is left ajar for 10minutes or the dimmer control is rotated upwards for 10minutes, the interior lights will automatically turn off.

If the headlamps remain on while the ignition is cycledoff, the exterior lights will automatically turn off after 8minutes. If the headlamps are turned on and left on for 8minutes while the ignition is off, the exterior lights willautomatically turn off.

NOTE: Battery Saver mode is cancelled if the ignition isON.