• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Auto Trans - Truck in gear for warm up?

I know the 3 cyl mode helps warm the engine quicker due to the load put on the engine, so...If I put the truck in gear and keep my foot on the brake am I doing any harm to the trans if I let it idle like that for 5-10 minutes?What about if I do the same thing but bump the idle to 1200 rpm or so? Is that hard on the tranny or any of the parts?Sorry if it's a dump question. I only know the basics when it comes to how auto transmissions work.Thank you!

Welcome to THE forum!

Please take a moment to go to the http://forum.mopar1973man.com/forums/20-Introductions

section and introduce yourself to the forum!

As for the question(s):

holding the trans in gear, and idling up will create excessive heat/wear on the trans; do not do.

idling in gear, you're not really loading the engine, as it's similar to having the clutch depressed (sorta) on a manual-transmission truck.

not silly or stupid questions at all :)

It's all about learning, around here.

• Like 1

no worries, buddy. Take a moment to fill out your signature with your truck information, so we'll know exactly what you have for future assistance..Also, if you know someone with a Smarty, they can flash your ECU with it, then flash back to stock, and BAM! you've got the high-idle, etc.That's how I got mine ;)

• Like 1

pepsi - think that may have something to do with the differences in your built auto + billet TC, versus OE style? ;)

the trans is very tight, i think as tight as a manual tranny. The triple disk by its self puts a good shock load, the truck drops from 850rpm to 625 just putting it in gear, before it raises back up to 850:smart: but i have already hauled with it and she is a charm,

Does the Smarty auto load the high idle or is there something yo have to do to install it? I guess I will now have to come and visit you RJC. I'll trade the hight idle for something you need done to your truck. Now if only I can get job near you.

I told you my wife can cook. Come and visit, and get high idle to boot... I think the thing will probably work in the morning it's colder than a witches ninny here tonight.

All I need to do now is get up that way. Sure would be better than going further west. I guess I will take the pay check where ever it takes me.

Does it have to be set to level 3 to load the idle feature? I have mine set at level 1. The guy I bought it from scratched his head and couldn't understand why I wouldn't run it higher. I just wanted the fuel economy and high idle was an extra. I would also like to keep my transmission in one piece.

• Staff

Something I will do on my manual trans is put the transfer case in N, and the trans in 6th gear and let it warm up that way on fast idle. I only do this when the truck is cold soaked below 0°, and only for a few minutes as I scrape a windshield (otherwise I normally don't idle to warm up, as it's not as good for the motor as people think). It certainly does improve initial shifting and place a little load on the motor. I have no clue if this would work on a auto or not, so try at your own risk. You would have to put it in N and then shift the xcase back to 2hi, or whatever, but I am not sure if the auto trans will stop like a manual trans as there is no clutch to depress.

Does it have to be set to level 3 to load the idle feature? I have mine set at level 1. The guy I bought it from scratched his head and couldn't understand why I wouldn't run it higher. I just wanted the fuel economy and high idle was an extra. I would also like to keep my transmission in one piece.

it should load on anything over the stock settings. i used level 3 as an example, but yest until you get a good TC and valve body keep off the pedal with that smarty, she will eat your trans and then ask for seconds.