• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2005 Dodge Durango Stalling

Alright folks my wifes new vehicle is a 2005 Dodge Durango 5.7 and its been in and out of the dealership since we bought it a month ago!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead: So Im lookin for some help!! When she runs it thru the automatic car wash and the water runs off the windshield towards the hood and the engine will start stumbling very bad and will stall if you let it. The dealership has replaced the cowl and cowl seal with the latest part the spark plug wires and the boots apparently that are separate from the spark plug wires.(never heard of a spark plug wire without a boot) So Im looking for some help since they cant seem to figure it out! Any help is greatly appreciated folks! Thank you.

So if theyve replaced the spark plug wire and boot have they tried the coil or the actual spark plug itself? Im assuming its one of the back cylinders, Ford had the same problem we had one at work that i replaced the back driver coil like 5 times and the rest were original when the truck was sold lol-Jordan-

• 2 weeks later...

Not very high tech but drive it around a bit to warm it up and get it to low idle. Then take a spray bottle filled with water and mist each coil one at a time, listening for the miss. Hopefully this will allow you to pin-point the bad one.If this doesn't get you any results start looking at other things around the back of the hood, repeat the same thing with the water bottle trying to replicate your issue. Eventually you are bound to find something causing the miss. Though I think it is likely a coil.

If that doesnt work open the hood and pour some water on the wind shield and see if you can see any water dripping back into the engine compartment. the wire to the coils are more like a wiring harness than a traditional plug wire. I have never tried to trace back where they come from. I could see water effecting them more than a traditional plug wire.

• Owner

Di-electric grease is your friend I would put a dab of it in all the boots of the spark plug wires and any wiring on the engine. This will keep moisture from entering plugs and electrical. Also double check the distributor cap. I've seen where some caps don't come with a rubber seal to keep moisture out so when water hit a hot exhaust manifold the steam floods the cap and creates this problem. Another thing to double check is the rotor I've seen where rotors burn a hole through the plastic and arc to the rotor shaft.

Di-electric grease is your friend I would put a dab of it in all the boots of the spark plug wires and any wiring on the engine. This will keep moisture from entering plugs and electrical. Also double check the distributor cap. I've seen where some caps don't come with a rubber seal to keep moisture out so when water hit a hot exhaust manifold the steam floods the cap and creates this problem. Another thing to double check is the rotor I've seen where rotors burn a hole through the plastic and arc to the rotor shaft.

Mikey, does your 96 have a distributer cap or a rotor? My 96 2500 had a block the wires tied into and it was rectangular. It was a v10 and had two. one with 6 wires and one with 4. When I get home I am going to look at the Dakota closer. But I dont think rotor and distrbuter cap are on the parts list any more.:wow: