• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wifi vs. 1gbps

ISX

Thought I would share this as it was kinda neat. I have a LAN speed test program that benchmarks how long and how fast a file of a set size takes to go somewhere and back. I simply share a folder on another computer and then it sends a file back and forth between it.

2 computers communicate with a 1gbps connection (1000mbps) and then moms on her laptop through wifi and I also have wifi on this computer to optionally use. Here were the results from benchmarking.

Posted Image

As you can see, if you have a fast internet connection, wifi will hinder it big time. Thankfully most websites don't seem to put out more than 5mbps, but bigger downloads could really be hurt. The 1000mbps connection pretty well makes your hard drives the big slowdown factor. I think this new wireless N thing would be good if it was as fast as it says. Obviously my hard drives are not fast enough for 1000mbps connection but I can max out a 100mb connection. Thing is, wifi runs at 54 and you can see it wasn't anywhere near that and she is only 20ft from the router, if that. The wireless N is said to run at 400mbps but if you use the same logic being 54/8=6.75x slower, then 400 would be only 59mbps, or basically what the 54mbps one is supposed to promise. It's incredible really.

Wifi to Wifi is just flat out crap. Our internet is 4mbps so it just barely gets within the limits, but that means the other 90% of people with faster internet are actually slowed down by their own wifi.

You guys can also see the latency comparison.

Anyhow, thought it was neat and didn't know how many people actually knew about the actual speeds of these things.

there are other variables that play into this, such as processing speed, bus speed, etc.But its still some neat data. And I've seen (experienced) where wireless connectivity will slow down wired connectivity speed, when active. Haven't quite figured out why, though.

there are other variables that play into this, such as processing speed, bus speed, etc. But its still some neat data. And I've seen (experienced) where wireless connectivity will slow down wired connectivity speed, when active. Haven't quite figured out why, though.

Yeah I'm not too involved into how it all works lol. I have 160gb to transfer across the two 1000gbps computers and was just testing to see how long it would really take. I have a mbps meter and it is bumping around at 100-250mbps while all of it is transfering so it is definitely capable of using the 1000mbps speeds.