• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Can you hurt a truck by leaving it plug in?

Hey guys, some 20-30 degree weather starting where I live in. I plugged my truck up last night I got to thinking about a couple of questions. Can you leave your truck plugged in too long. I plugged it up a 6 p.m. last night and got in it at 7 am this morning. I going to get one of those timers that can come on a few hours before I'm ready to jump in my truck in the mornings but also when I come to work I like to plug it in because it sits all day til 6 or 7 at night and I also push snow which I probably will be doing tonight so an overview would be plugged it up a 6 pm last night. Got in it at 7 this morning. Drove it for 15 mins to the shop plugged it up at 730 this morning. Get in it and go home at 6 or so and plug it up for either work tonight or in the morning so it can sped alot of time on plugged up. Sorry to be long winded but didnt know if it would mess anything up by plugging it in so much. thanks

• Owner

AH64ID is right 750w heater can suck up a lot of kwh's of power... :whistle:Since I left the fire dept I don't bother with plugging in at all. The truck is stored in a unheated garage. But Grid heaters is all I need for the first part of the start and then allow high idle to kick in for short time to build just a little temp (around 100*F) and I leave.

Yeah definately going to get me one of them timers cuz it sure is nice to jump in and take off. The neighbors would probably buy me one so that my truck don't warm up for 15 mins with high idle and straight pipe at 5 am in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

It just puts a hurt on the power bill! Otherwise no issues.

I'm surprised I didn't worry about this already. I mean, I work for Rocky Mountain Power. Lol. Let's see, I put less than 5000 miles on my truck last year, so obviously I don't drive it much. However, I've made it a practice to keep it plugged in all winter. I did the math and am glad I quit plugging it in (for other reasons) last week. 750 Watts = .75 kW. .75 x 24 hrs x 30 days = 540 kWh. 540 kWh x $.13 = $70 a month. Ouch. Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I suspect there must be a thermostat switch on the blockheater (high temp cut off). I've run the block heater AND stock tank heater most all winter and we never noticed any difference in the electric bill. The bill was higher in winter but that's with the electric heat on the living space. Basement is wood heated which DOES make a big difference.That said, the nice warm engine makes wonderful accommidiations for mice who have destroyed almost all my insulation. After they got loose & trashed, I removed the remains of the hood, firewall & cowel box insulation. Now my wife packs her MP3 & ear buds... long trips with no conversation or directions except "the girl in the box".

• Owner

He's there is no cutoff switch it just too small of a heater (750w) to heat all hat cast iron, 6 gallon of coolant and the air around it. What seriously funny about it is the water heater here at the house is (1,100w) in a 60 gallon water heater that is insulated does just fine to getting 140*F hot water...After relizing this I no longer will park a vehicle outside in the weather and plug it in. It extremely wasteful. When you can park that same vehicle in a unheated garage and plug it in now you got a double bonus. First the block temperatures are higher because of less wind ans weather contact. Also the the garage now is about 2-5*F warmer from the radiant heat given by the block heater.This is exactly how I use to keep it during fire fighting days. I'd keep it plugged in and the shop was always just a taste warmer than outside. The windows never had frost/ice to scrape off.

Ive heard people mention before in reference to "high idle" is there a way to set the truck so that it idles high while you warm it up in the morning or are you guys just pressing the gas pedal slightly?when I used to drive truck I drove an International 4900 and if I set the cruis control while ideling it would idle up until I hit the brake. Kind of a cool feature. Just wondering if maybe my dodge does this and I dont know it

• Owner

Ive heard people mention before in reference to "high idle" is there a way to set the truck so that it idles high while you warm it up in the morning or are you guys just pressing the gas pedal slightly? when I used to drive truck I drove an International 4900 and if I set the cruis control while ideling it would idle up until I hit the brake. Kind of a cool feature. Just wondering if maybe my dodge does this and I dont know it

You mean... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/26-engine-systems/51-high-idle-mod

http-~~-//youtu.be/il7iJCKfmaE