• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ECM Therory

Throwing this out there.... could you remove the dodge ecm and wire harness and replace it with a regular isb ecm & wire harness? ive been looking at diagrams and the dodge/isb only has 1 50 pin connector while the non dodge ecm has 2 50 pin connectors, and on that 2nd connector could you do more with (extra features that dodge didnt seem to want us to have which bother me). I've just been thinking outside the box lately, traveling the path less taken.I need to get the Cummins Inline 5 or 6 at some point to, see what I can do with the Insite program (yes i have all the levels of licensing and the licensing for password removal & oem password removal), Also I have the InCal files to play with. If that fails i'll have to find (which hasnt been easy) Cummins CalTerm III (Cummins Enginerring Software), which you can edit calibrations will push an uncalibrated flash file on to the ecm (unlike Insite that will only work will calibrated files).Don't know if I'm chasing a dragon, trying to reinvent the wheel or wasting time, and yours too for reading this brainstorm.

Touché sir. I guess that's why 'they' call it R&D or trial & error. I have a friend that I haven't really seen in the past 10 years (moved to SC) or so, until he found me via facebook last March, come to find out he works for Cummins Atlantic (got my attention), he basically told me with InSite I could monitor/adjust/set parameters, all depending on which licensing one has. As far as upgrading he said its not that type of program. Which is fine, but then again when your balls are being squeezed by TQM (defueling) its an upgrade in my book to be able to adjust parameters so defueling (or as cummins calls it 'fuel derate') isn't as strong or at all, depending.I mainly feel defueling in 1st 2nd gear once is start to approach or pass 1800rpms, then I'll shift 3rd and she will pull good and hard if I had lower gears probably wouldn't feel it as bad, but with 3.55s and 285s its wretched in my book.One thing I did take note on with the new calibrations files for my ECM that InCal has is that you can add/remove emission tags from the calibration file from inside of InSite once you load the calibration in.Lastly once the factory responsibility, warranties etc, expire and/or run out and as the owner it's all on your hands and wallet, they should remove their restrictions and their say on how your truck is run and operate.Hope you have enjoyed my short stories, theories and opinions.

• Owner

There was a guy on CumminsForum that was doing the very same thing figure out how to program the ECM using ROMRaider Software and a homemade cord. He managed to disable the TQ Man and change the fueling tables for the most part without the use of Cummins Insite software. I know its possible but its frustrating that there isn't smoething like EFI Live out for the Cummins. I know both Smarty and EFI are working towards a release but... :shrug:

• Owner

Well after having a conversation with another member here on the site. We came to the reason why EFI and other haven't allowed for programmable changes because more than likely the first thing that would happen is the "Puppies" would turn the fuel limit to MAX and timing to MAX and flog the hell out of it. Then wonder why there is chunks of piston in the pan. :rolleyes:There is several things I would love to change like the 35 MPH lower limit for cruise control. How lame... I've got several long roads without stops at 20-25 MPH it sure would be nice to ditch that.As for fueling parameters there isn't too much I would change but I would like to see the timing curve. (3D Table Graph) Too many secrets with the Cummins engine and VP44...

Well after having a conversation with another member here on the site. We came to the reason why EFI and other haven't allowed for programmable changes because more than likely the first thing that would happen is the "Puppies" would turn the fuel limit to MAX and timing to MAX and flog the hell out of it. Then wonder why there is chunks of piston in the pan. :rolleyes: There is several things I would love to change like the 35 MPH lower limit for cruise control. How lame... I've got several long roads without stops at 20-25 MPH it sure would be nice to ditch that. As for fueling parameters there isn't too much I would change but I would like to see the timing curve. (3D Table Graph) Too many secrets with the Cummins engine and VP44...

On the spped thing, an idea, wire in a frequency multiplier to make the truck think its going faster. Could probably even get an adjustable one in case a basic 2X would casue issues. However I am pretty sure the cluster would indicate the wrong speed too as its can bus. I would love to get in there and tweak the ecm. Maybe even use a wideband to help smooth out the timing/fueling tables. Saw the tables from a CR and iirc they were all over the place. Probably Dodge's way of meeting the epa crap.