• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

what interval do you change oil/oil filter at?

what interval do you change oil and oil filter pick one of each (multiple choice)  

85 members have voted

1. 1. what interval do you change oil and oil filter pick one of each (multiple choice)

• ~3000 miles oil change
    • 3000-5000 miles oil change
    • 5000-7000 miles oil change
    • 7000-10,000 miles oil change
    • over 10,000 miles
    • ~3000 miles filter change
    • 3000-5000 miles filter change
    • 5000-7000 miles filter change
    • 7000-10,000 miles filter change
    • over 10,000 miles filter change

Try to do it around 7500. I did not start that way when i bought it but changed over about 6 years ago. I dont tow alot but heavy when i do. The truck runs stronger than when new. Of cousre I have added a few things, they are in the sig.

I waste my money and watch it go down the oil drain every 10K along with a fuel filter every 10k. I run Amsoil and a bypass. I had previously run up to 30 k on my 02 without a single oil drain and sampled every 5k and did a full flow filter change every 5k and both full flow and bypass every 10 k and the oil samples looked perfect at 30k but I decided to change it anyhow. But at that point the engine oil had all been changed a couple times already taking into account the oil you loose and replenish at the filter changes.But the 05 I just do 10k intervals on all "Because I have that kind of cash to waste".:spend::whistle:I am going to do 10K intervals on my 2010 Hemi as well with the amsoil.My wifes VW jetta I do the recommended 5K with amsoil only because it has the egr system and the oil gets extremely sooty.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I guess the question should be how many oil changes have you done.

I am going on my forth oil change in my 2003 PSD 7.3 90k and still rolling.

Bill

--- Update to the previous post...

I waste my money and watch it go down the oil drain every 10K along with a fuel filter every 10k. I run Amsoil and a bypass. I had previously run up to 30 k on my 02 without a single oil drain and sampled every 5k and did a full flow filter change every 5k and both full flow and bypass every 10 k and the oil samples looked perfect at 30k but I decided to change it anyhow. But at that point the engine oil had all been changed a couple times already taking into account the oil you loose and replenish at the filter changes.

But the 05 I just do 10k intervals on all "Because I have that kind of cash to waste".:spend::whistle:

I am going to do 10K intervals on my 2010 Hemi as well with the amsoil.

My wifes VW jetta I do the recommended 5K with amsoil only because it has the egr system and the oil gets extremely sooty.

I am going 10k on our Jetta and plan to go father once I am out from the warranty.

I have customers going 20k on the dodges.

Bill

Well I guess the question should be how many oil changes have you done.

I am going on my forth oil change in my 2003 PSD 7.3 90k and still rolling.

Bill

--- Update to the previous post...

I am going 10k on our Jetta and plan to go father once I am out from the warranty.

I have customers going 20k on the dodges.

Bill

That's very impressive for a 7.3 powderpuff with the HEUI injectors. Those injectors shear the additives almost as fast as crap thru a goose!!!:2cents:

Whilst that's impressive for a powderpuff diesel.............have you checked out my thread

forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/1688-80-000-Miles-No-Full-Oil-Change?highlight=82%2C000+miles+oil+change

The only reason I changed oil at 82,000 miles, was because I had the engine almost torn down to replace the front gear cover gasket. I figured since the engine was apart and exposed: I'd better change it all out........just to be safe. If you try to convince me the gasket issue was oil related, I'll call BullChit on you here and now!!!!

I sure wish I had saved my Blackstone oil analysis reports for you. Using WallyWorld SuperTech 15W40 dino on top of it!!!

The only thing that's changed since then is I'm using Valvoline Premium Blue now. 40,000 miles now and counting.............without an oil change!!!!:thumbup2::thumbup2:

No argument here. If you can get that many miles out of cheaper oil and have the sample reports to prove the quality of it, I say that's great. :thumbup2:

I agree 114.6384%................but get the Amsoil zealots to do the same!!!!

No doubt. The samples are the only way to prove it. I did sampling for years and after a while I got comfortable enough with the results to stop. I'm starting another sample program here at work now but it is mostly for the Audubon. They love stuff like this.

• 1 year later...
  • Owner

The testing I run by is seeing hotshots like CajFlynn that run ~20K miles on a oil change and clear 1 million miles on nothing more than Chevron Delo 15W-40 and Fleetguard filters. Synthetics? Not required. Bypass filter not required. 7.5K oil changes, just a bit too early. 10K I can handle that. Even the owners manual for my 1996 Dodge 1500 calls for oil changes every 6K miles. Why would a 6 quart engine only be 1.5K less than a 3 gallon engine?

• Staff

Even thou they are much heavier loaded it's very hard to compare a hot shot use to your use. The hot shot has a higher average speed, more constant load and rpms. Your truck (like mine) sees some easy driving, some towing, some heavy towing on dirt roads, lots of slow speed forest service use, etc. Diesels are much harder on oil, it's why a gas engine could go the same, or close to, on a fraction of the oil. I would never extend oil intervals without UOA, you just don't know what you are doing. Really the only way to know is with UOA.

Mobil 15w-40 or Chevron Delo 15w-40, Fleetguard Oil Filters, and my Frantz Bypass filter. 217K miles and heading for the moon (253K miles). Change oil every 10K miles. [ATTACH=CONFIG]5799[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5800[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5801[/ATTACH]

What is the little filter beside the oil filter for?

Have you ever gotten a oil analysis on your oil? The reason I ask is I am looking to get a little cheaper synthetic oil and maybe change at 7500. I to have a frantz setup. I mean if I could go longer between changes that would be awesome. I am getting ready to read some TDR reports on oil.My brother just received his analysis back and it was not good. He runs amsoil heavy duty marine synthetic oil with a TBN of 12 and an Amsoil bypass setup. He put 10,000 on the oil and it he has high levels of metal possibly from bearings and the heat from the bearings caused the oil to oxidize(sp) the TBN dropped to 3.5. In my mind why pay those prices for that oil when you can get a little cheaper oil and change it at normal intervals. Just a thought.