• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

what interval do you change oil/oil filter at?

what interval do you change oil and oil filter pick one of each (multiple choice)  

85 members have voted

1. 1. what interval do you change oil and oil filter pick one of each (multiple choice)

• ~3000 miles oil change
    • 3000-5000 miles oil change
    • 5000-7000 miles oil change
    • 7000-10,000 miles oil change
    • over 10,000 miles
    • ~3000 miles filter change
    • 3000-5000 miles filter change
    • 5000-7000 miles filter change
    • 7000-10,000 miles filter change
    • over 10,000 miles filter change

• Owner

Schedule B I think is 3.5K miles but the only time Schedule B is required is when your running a truck for emergency vehicle like ambulance, fire truck, etc... Some that is truly flogged from the time you start it to the time you shutdown. But even the oil testing TDR did awhile back said that most petroleum oils will go 20K miles without a problem... [ATTACH]3568[/ATTACH]

My Concrete Cowboy story goes like this. Influenced by the 3,000 mile-guy-on-TV for many years I adopted his mantra and needlessly changed lube oil on my vehicles. Needlessly? Yep, needlessly. I finally spent money to do lube oil testing and found that the lube oil was a-okay at <gasp> an extension of the oil change interval to a whopping 6,000 miles. I changed the lube oil at that 6,000 mile interval. Then, I walked on the wild side…I changed the lube oil at 10,000 miles. The oil was still a-okay. I got busy the next year and, forgetful me, changed the oil at 20,000 miles. I was so concerned that I purchased the CC2543 to check the viscosity and total base number. Alas, the sample was all-too predictable, the wear metals were pretty much double what was shown in the earlier 10,000 mile sample. Big surprise? Viscosity and TBN were still more than adequate.

https://mopar1973man.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=17565

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I do the full change at the 10k mark. The manual I have shows the schedule 'A' as 15,000 miles and the schedule 'B' as 7,500 miles. But I'm very old fashion (never gone over 5k in the old days) and 'HAVE TO HAVE' an analysis each change.

2006 Dodge Shop Manua 'Sch A'l.pdf

2006 Dodge Shop Manual 'Sch B'.pdf

How often are you suppose to change the crankcase filter breather element? I have 82 000 on my truck now and in 2000 more its do for an oil change and a Frantz install. Come to think about it I have not changed my serpentine belt either. How do you guys remember when to change your stuff? wright down the milage you changed it and refer back to it. Just curious if there are any unique ways to help people remember.

How often are you suppose to change the crankcase filter breather element?

I believe my manual said 100k. But I highly recommend you check your service manual for at least what the dealer recommends. You can do it then, or sooner if you feel like it. I don't always think the recommended mileage by the dealer is right and do it sooner.

• Owner

How often are you suppose to change the crankcase filter breather element? I have 82 000 on my truck now and in 2000 more its do for an oil change and a Frantz install. Come to think about it I have not changed my serpentine belt either. How do you guys remember when to change your stuff? wright down the milage you changed it and refer back to it. Just curious if there are any unique ways to help people remember.

This little program works great for managing your maintenance... http://www.lonewolf-software.com/automotivewolf.htm

When I bought my truck, I bought the service manual. I printed a copy of the maintenance schedule I would be using and put it on a clip board in the garage. When each 5k rolled around, I take a minute to look at it an service as needed. If there was an upcoming service that needed parts I don't have or cost a but more than normal, I'd see if I could get them on sale and put them on the shelf. Gonna need them anyway.I'd like a program like this, but like a few others, I only own mac's. They can only warn you on approx time schedules, like the calendars on your computer, but look prettier. So I just look at the speed-o, and each 5k, take a minute as needed to look at the printout an go from there. Been working for the last 46+ years for me.