• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

need advice on pcu codes and ecu codes

just bought my truck about 2 weeks ago and today when i started it ,i got out on the road and it would not run over 1200 rpm i had to pull over and turn the truck off and then start it back up then it went on no problem the rest of the day. The codes i pulled on truck was PO122 and P1693 on the PCU and P0216 and P1693 on the ECU. Could somebody help on what is the problem. Thanks

• Owner

Your not sounding stupid at all. Read this, it is at the lower part of the page. http://www.mwfi.com/vp44.htm

From that page...

The retrieval of codes does not constitute an engine diagnosis. However, there are some codes that usually indicate a defective injection pump. A current P1688 always means that the pump is bad, there is no further diagnosis required. Code P0216 is probably the most common code for VP-44 Pumps. If transfer pump pressure has been checked and is O.K., the injection pump is defective. Other codes that are less common are P0180, P0181, P0215, P0251, P0252, P0253, P0254, P0370, P1287, P1689 and P1690. These codes USUALLY, but not always indicate a defective pump. There are wiring and power checks to be performed if these codes are present. These codes relate to Dodge pickups only, and are not for any other ISB application

Then you can step over to the OBD page and test it out... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes
  • Like 1

i got a fuel pressure from genos today and hooked it to vp44 and pressure at idle was 19 and crusing was 17 and wot was 15. stilling throwin po216 code so is the problem now going to be the vp44 to be replaced or is there something else i should check before ordering one. thanks

• Owner

Well there is 3 things a VP44 requires to be happy...

[*]Fuel pressure kept above 14 PSI. (Check!)

[*]Fuel filter less than 10 micron (Unknown?) :shrug:

[*]Fuel Lubricity less than 450 HFRR (Unknown?) :shrug:

You got to remember todays fuel (~520 HFRR) doesn't meet Bosch standards for the VP44 or the CP3...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/68-hfrr-testing-of-common-diesel-fuel-additives

Posted Image

As for filtration diesel standard is usually 10 micron but with tighter tolerances inside both the VP44 and CP3 pumps its best to use a high quality filter that gets down towards 2-3 micron. Better protection from debris.

• Like 1