• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hello, all. Was out enjoying the day with the kids after work. Drove to the park. Went to go home truck started fine, drove away half way home truck died. Lost power, dead pedal and pulled off the road. I had 15-16 pound of fuel pressure, called my dad he brought out my snap on modus and recieved the gift of the P-1688 code. I tried to restart the truck after a min or two after pulled over. it wanted to start but didn't. I could here the airdog pump running when the key was cycled. Truck had been running fine. When i was home I varied fuel at the inlet of the VP. tried cracking injectors 1,3,5. but nothing. I trust the knowledge of Mike and the others on here the most. Not to bash the other sites. Now here's the question. Yes, I searched this out on the forums. Who do you guys in your honest opinion's would be the best vendor to get one from? I'm not running anything crazy, just a Edge EZ. I thank you guys for the help.John

• Owner

Hmmm... Diesel Auto Power TH Racing KT Performance FTE Diesel And many more... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/mopar1973mans-dealer-contacts/12-dealers--vendors Any of the vendors here are good choices... Just a matter of prices... I'm sure any of these vendors will stand behind there product they sell you! Note to self... Update the vendor list... :duh:

Some of the pumps come with a new computer. I would recomend you get one with it. DAP sells them both ways. When i bought mine Blue Chip was the only one i found that put a new computer on the pump. But you got open your wallet pretty wide to get one of his. He is worth a look though.It would be nice to know just what all is done to these pumps during the reman process. If something doesnt meet spec it is replaced, but what about marginal parts that might pass spec but not be replaced. It would just be nice to have something to compare one pump to another.

There has to be a guide line for a standard reman for the pump builders. I would think that the individual vendor could have it taken further if he wants to. Accordding to Chip when I bought mine he does take it further and the new computer was part of it. I couldnt tell you what else now if I had to. Chip does not build his in house.

• Owner

Good question Dripley.... What is Bosch's specifications for a proper rebuild on these pumps? Does it get sent to Mexico? Be nice to know these things before mine goes out... I'm still on the original VP.

Here is a vid that might help...

http-~~-//youtu.be/V0Q8qQ2UKRI

Here is the list of pump rebuilders with a Bosch 815 test stand... :whistle:http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/25-fuel-system/247-bosch-certified-vp44-injection-pump-rebuilders So regardless of a new computer (PSG) is put on or not it MUST pass all test before it can even be re-programmed or sold... :smart:
  • Like 3

:iagree:100%. I think the best you can do is ask alot of questions. When i bought mine there was not a lot of info on what was done to them and Chip was the only person who was willing to talk to me on a personal level. Of couse at that time i did not have any experience with this forum or any others or the vendors I have since come to be aware of. since I had the money then I chose to buy mine from Blue Chip. Knowing what I know now I might have gone a differant route, who knows. Talk to the vendors, ask alot of questions and make your pick.Then we will all get together in 3 years and see whos lasts the longest.

I Thank you guys for your replies. I have searched around. Will be making some phone calls to the vendors,with specific questions on the rebuild aspects. If they have new or repaired circuit boards internals etc.. The removal and install don't seem bad. Just making sure to clock the pump at TDC. I feel I can do it. I deal with keyed motor shafts quite often, being a commercial/industrial HVAC/R engineer. I will also ask one of my co-workers in our transportation dept for some help, being we have school buses with VP's in them. Maybe inquire to purchase the P-pump off of one of the buses with a cracked block. I will post up results and asked for help when needed.Thanks again,John

Hello all, Wanted to give an update. I ordered a SO vp from JKidd at DAP. I started today removing items to get the pump removed. So far so good. I will finish removing the fuel lines tomorrow. I will be replacing all filters again just as a re-insurance. I changed them no to long ago. But what the hell that's a few extra bucks. I will give a few more updates as I move along. Thanks again for the help.John

• 2 weeks later...

Well got it running today, All in all not a bad job. It help having the right tools. " Especially the info here". Got it all buttoned up. and didn't have enough umph from the batteries. Not running for a week or so. Put a fast charge on them, then gave it another shot and it fired right off. Took for a spin. Ran great. Oh yeah the ball bearing on the overflow valve was rusted.Thanks for all the help guys,John

• Owner

Well got it running today, All in all not a bad job. It help having the right tools. " Especially the info here". Got it all buttoned up. and didn't have enough umph from the batteries. Not running for a week or so. Put a fast charge on them, then gave it another shot and it fired right off. Took for a spin. Ran great. Oh yeah the ball bearing on the overflow valve was rusted.

Thanks for all the help guys,

John

You might reconsider where your buying fuel at... Then you might make sure your running a quality fuel filter with water seperating qualities... Some of the cheap part store filters are just paper so they will pass water...

You might reconsider where your buying fuel at... Then you might make sure your running a quality fuel filter with water seperating qualities... Some of the cheap part store filters are just paper so they will pass water...

The new filters I used were the one's you guys recommended.

• Owner

Some how the water seperator isn't doing its job or the the fuel has way too much water in it... That's the only way the overflow valve would become rusty.EDIT: Paying attention now I see you got a AirDog 100... Are you using the the stock filter also or not? Did you upgrade the water seperator?

• Staff

I like Racor's water seperating fuel filter as a prefilter before the lift pump. It has a clear bowl on the bottom so you can see if the fuel is bad and drain it off with the little drain valve if needed. I know this has helped the stock filter to not get overloaded with dirt and water and then the AD100 probably likes the cleaner fuel too.Only draw back is Racor filters are not cheap, but pretty sure they are very good filters.... if anyone else has heard different please comment.