• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hi there. Hope everyone is well. I recently started getting some chirping in the cab and dismissed it as something being loose. However, seems it only occurs when I dump the clutch or quickly increase demand from the engine. Does this sound like it could be the t.o.b. starting to fail. Thanks for the time.

Thanks, I don't think it is belt noise. However it is one thing I will definitely double check in order to rule out. I was planning on pulling the nv5600, as 3-4 occasionally grinds, to rebuild it. I just may decide to get around to it alot sooner to inspect the clutch. Thanks again.

Once the clutch is engaged and your foot is off the pedal technically there should be no load on the TOB and shouldn't be making noise. But if you holding the clutch in at a light and it howling then you TOB is shot.

Yeah, I should have known that. Thanks. Could it possibly be the pilot bearing?

As for taking apart the 5600, I have not. I will have experienced help though, it will be a great learning experience...if I do ever get around to it.

Thanks again fellow's.

--- Update to the previous post...

...(one more for good measure)...maybe it will turn out to be my first instinct...that something is loose:doh:

• Owner

The only time a pilot bearing is going to howl is when the clutch is pressed and the truck is sitting still because now the flywheel will be turning and the input shaft will not be turning. Pilot bearing will less likely to make noise as the truck is in motion. But when the bearing fails it would cause all kinds of shift problems too because the friction disc will no longer be lined up and dragging against the flywheel.So the only way to be sure is drop the trans. Like in my case I lost the center hub on my friction disc and it was leaning against the flywheel and made it really tough to shift in all gears but made no noises...post-2-138698184082_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698184087_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

just got back from VA, same scenario, a little chirping sound when pushing the clutch hard to go into gear, in the last 10 miles off the interstate to my house, then had to get up yesterday and make a drop in rayne, la about 5.5hr. round trip all interstate and floated the gears mostly. Pulled out my nv5600 last night. It was the pilot bearing, unfortunately it ate up the input shaft a little, so I would not wait to pull it down. Anybody knows where I can get an input shaft fast and for a decent price?? Dealerships will probably be closed today because of Mardi Gras today so i wouldn't be able to get one today anyway.

Theres a great place online to get NV5600 parts but i lost all my favorites when i changed computers, let me see if i can find it again lol,

-Jordan-

--- Update to the previous post...

Didnt take as long as I thought lol, try either one of these sites.

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/nv5600-parts-c-29_66_68_273_285.html

http://www.quad4x4.com/NV5600_Transmission_Parts.html

Also careful floating gears Ive heard these transmissions are not meant for that and you can really do some synchro damage.

-Jordan-

• Like 1