• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I dont know how you could do an individual injector line. I have heard several people say the lift pump will not pump thru the VP, but after I installed my AD, I bumped the starter with the injector lines(1,3,and4) loose and it did pump a fair amount of fuel thru them after a few trys. After hearing so many time the lift pump cant do that, I spent about 30 minutes looking for a fuel leak until I realized the fuel was coming thru the injector lines I had cracked open. I want to believe what I was told about that not being possible but I can still do it with mine. As far as pumping it thru 1 particular injector, I dont know. Mine was pumping it thru all of the ones that were open.Could this be possible due to newer upgrades in pump reman?

• Like 1

I would hate to say but there is a serious problem with the vp. When i had my lines off and empty to replace the cross tube orings, i put it all back together and cracked 1,3,4 then turned the engine over for about 15 seconds of which i saw fuel, so i tightened them up and cranked again for about 10 seconds and it fired right up with a stumble while the other lines cleared and then it was running perfect.you shouldnt be having this much difficulty with it getting started.Is the vp getting power? is the vp plug hooked up?

• Like 1

II have heard several people say the lift pump will not pump thru the VP, but after I installed my AD, I bumped the starter with the injector lines(1,3,and4) loose and it did pump a fair amount of fuel thru them after a few trys. After hearing so many time the lift pump cant do that, I spent about 30 minutes looking for a fuel leak until I realized the fuel was coming thru the injector lines I had cracked open. I want to believe what I was told about that not being possible but I can still do it with mine. As far as pumping it thru 1 particular injector, I dont know. Mine was pumping it thru all of the ones that were open.

Could this be possible due to newer upgrades in pump reman?

As you discovered, fuel CAN pass through a VP44 when it isn't operating.

Here is a quote from Chrysler training publication 8169997178 "Cummins Electronic Fuel Injection"

The VP44 injection pump is not self priming. At least two high pressure fuel lines atthe cylinder head must be loosened in order to bleed air from the system. The presence of fuel in the high pressure fuel lines at the cylinder head is not proof of the VP44 pump operating. Fuel can pass through the VP44 pump when it is not operating. Strong spurts of fuel at the loosened cylinder head fitting indicate that theVP44 pump is operating.

Regards,

John L.

• Like 3

i agree JLandry, it can pass through without it working. but my vp has been recently replaced and is powering up and shooting alot of fuel at the high pressure side which is whats not adding up

Question: Have you tried hot wiring the VP44 to verify the engine will run without any connection to the ECM? Doing this would eliminate the possibility of a bad ECM or CTM (anti-theft). The engine only needs fuel (via a hot wired VP44) and air to run. Regards, John L. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i personalyhave not tried hot wiring the vp but my "ex" mechanic stated he had tried with no sucess. I had none of the issues until i hired someone that didnt know what they were doing apparently to replace my lift pump and injection pump, ive trying to fix someone elses work since.

Your just testing the vp44. I would make sure that the lift pump is running at least. Just turn the key to on.Added a tag to the thread. Never saw the post over there on hotwiring a VP. Always heard about it but never saw how to.

• 3 weeks later...

had to go out of town for a couple weeks. took truck to dealer and had the ctm flashed to the trucks computer. It cranked right over afterwards but immediatly threw the p0216 and i have no idea why. Could have the numerous attempts to start the truck have damaged the new vp44 or is it possible it was thrown by the dealers scan tool?