• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

08 Honda Rancher ATV

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

I got a question to ask here and hopefully find a answer to this... I've got a 2008 Honda Rancher ATV I use here on the property for hauling stuff around.post-2-138698184134_thumb.jpgBut my question is why is the Honda 420 Rancher have a oil change interval of 600 miles (or 100 hours)? What weird is my 83 Goldwing has a oil change interval of 6K miles. So why is the ATV thousand times less between oil changes?I'm considering moving to the 100 hours invertal even though the service manual specifies the miles first before hours. But I can blow through the 600 miles in no time in the summer being I get around 80-90 miles on a tank of fuel (3 gallons) I can suck up 2 tanks of a fuel in a day of riding through the forest looking for wood cutting spots.As for my oil its been dark brown colored but never black at 600 miles...

• Owner

I have a 2 Honda atvs. I'm best guess is because of the environment there used for. I mean a goldwing is not going to ride in a river, a mud hole, or dusty off road trails. Sent from my iPhone

Actually it did... :wow: All the road around here are dirt and the Goldwind went everywhere a normal pickup or car could go. That includes crossing shallow creeks, mud holes, dirt roads... Etc... post-2-138698184149_thumb.jpg Between the Goldwing and the Rancher the only difference is the filter size and the oil amount... Rancher is 3 quarts and the goldwing is 4 quarts. The Rancher filter is tiny compared to the Goldwing... But what horrible is the price of the Rancher filter is just about as high as a filter for the Cummins... :wtf:

:2cents: Is the clutch in the oil like my Suzuki?

Just like the Goldwing and Rancher both have wet clutch systems...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Owner

Wet clutch, & most young people drive em pretty hard, is all I can think of. I run Rotella in all my quads too!

Well I'm not most young people... But I do ride it hard now and then. :whistle: But still and all the Goldwing is a wet clutch too and ridden hard as well up dirt road with high temps and the whole bit and change oil every 6K...:rolleyes:

I'm with you on this one. I have an 09 Rancher and feel the pain with the oil changes. If we can figure we can extend the interval I'd be pretty happy:thumb1: By the way how many miles do you have on yours Mike? Dave you say you run Rotella. Does it have the SJ rating (i think that's it) needed for the wet clutches on these ATV's? My neighbor tried cheaping on his quad oil but it came back to bite him because it wasn't spec'd right.

• Owner

Both the Goldwing and the Rancher both are water cooled... Both have wet clutches... But share the lube oil in the transmission... The difference is the Goldwing has bigger oil filter than the Rancher and holds 1 extra quart.What's truely sad is the tiny oil filter on the Rancher is the same price as my oil filter for the Cummins... :cookoo::spend: