• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What fuel pressure do you run if you have a gauge?

what is your fuel pressure at idle and WOT multiple choice  

211 members have voted

1. 1. what is your fuel pressure at idle and WOT multiple choice

• 10-12 idle
    • 13-15 idle
    • 16-18 idle
    • 19-21 idle
    • 22+ idle
    • 10-12 WOT
    • 13-15 WOT
    • 16-18 WOT
    • 19-21 WOT
    • 22+ WOT

I run around 19psi at idle and about 13 psi WOT. I have been recently thinking about my fuel delivery system. I have an Airdog 165, but the feed line goes to the OEM filter housing. Right before I bought the airdog I replaced the oem filter with a new one. And I wanted to take advantage of any pre-heat I could get being I live in the PNW. Whether or not it really helps, I dunno. But I think my flow is reduced because of the smaller steel line from the filter housing to the vp44. Although, I do like the extra filter for insurance before the vp44.

I run around 19psi at idle and about 13 psi WOT. I have been recently thinking about my fuel delivery system. I have an Airdog 165, but the feed line goes to the OEM filter housing. Right before I bought the airdog I replaced the oem filter with a new one. And I wanted to take advantage of any pre-heat I could get being I live in the PNW. Whether or not it really helps, I dunno. But I think my flow is reduced because of the smaller steel line from the filter housing to the vp44. Although, I do like the extra filter for insurance before the vp44.

I am set up just like you except I installed a bigline kit http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Universal-Big-Line-Filter-to-Injection-Pump-Kit-w-p/ffip59.htm form the fuel canister to the vp. I added a push lock tapped tee for fuel prsssure access.post-10340-138698184144_thumb.jpgI use the 90 with the tap to bleed the low pressure fuel system when neccesary. it Keeps my WOT at 16.5 psi.

• Owner

Verified mine today... With starting temps as low as +10*F this morning it was 17 @ idle and 15 @ WOT. But by the time the fuel warmed up in Ontario, OR today at nearly 60*F out its back to normal summer pressures of 19-19.5 @ idle and 17 @ WOT.Now the spring problem is gone for me... The trick is for all AirDog 100 and AirDog 150 pumps remove your spring and slightly crush the end coils so they are no longer absolutely circle but slightly oval. No more check ball jamming in the coils of the spring! :thumbup2:

• Staff

Verified mine today... With starting temps as low as +10*F this morning it was 17 @ idle and 15 @ WOT. But by the time the fuel warmed up in Ontario, OR today at nearly 60*F out its back to normal summer pressures of 19-19.5 @ idle and 17 @ WOT. Now the spring problem is gone for me... The trick is for all AirDog 100 and AirDog 150 pumps remove your spring and slightly crush the end coils so they are no longer absolutely circle but slightly oval. No more check ball jamming in the coils of the spring! :thumbup2:

Where is this check ball / spring thing-a-ma-bob? If ya' don't mind me askin'? I think I know, but, wanna' make sure.

Where is this check ball / spring thing-a-ma-bob? If ya' don't mind me askin'? I think I know, but, wanna' make sure.

It's in the pump behind the fitting that leads to the engine. I've got a problem with mine that the fuel pressure swings a good 4 psi. At idle it's not too bad but as soon as I put a little power down the gauge needle is swinging pretty good. I've ordered new springs but just wondering if anybody here has had this problem.

Verified mine today... With starting temps as low as +10*F this morning it was 17 @ idle and 15 @ WOT. But by the time the fuel warmed up in Ontario, OR today at nearly 60*F out its back to normal summer pressures of 19-19.5 @ idle and 17 @ WOT. Now the spring problem is gone for me... The trick is for all AirDog 100 and AirDog 150 pumps remove your spring and slightly crush the end coils so they are no longer absolutely circle but slightly oval. No more check ball jamming in the coils of the spring! :thumbup2:

You didn't by chance take a picture of your tweak spring did you? I'd like to do that but it's a pain to get to and only wanna do it once. My PSI is 16 at idle and 14 at WOT and I'm running a 17 pound spring on an ad 100. Luke

I've still got a stock lift pump on the block. 12.5 psi at idle and 8psi at WOT. I do have an AD 100 and big line kit on the bench waiting to be installed. I will be fixing the spring issue before I put the pump in.

Is your VP the original? With those type of pressures your on borrowed time. Just putting on your AD 100 is going to help but it is not going to repair any damage done with your low pressure that your showing. :2cents:
  • Like 1

Is your VP the original? With those type of pressures your on borrowed time. Just putting on your AD 100 is going to help but it is not going to repair any damage done with your low pressure that your showing. :2cents:

I replaced the lift pump only at 100k miles and then the VP and lift pump at about 200k miles. I never knew about these issues until a few years ago when I started reading up on things so I set aside some money for another VP and I figured I'd just run it until it quits. Still going for over 2 years now. Power is still good and mileage is 15-16/gal on winter fuel with the truck loaded with tools.