• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So I Had Some Time

dorkweed

to kill today, and here's what I did. Didn't get it all split, as it started raining and I thought I take a few pix for y'all. Should've taken a before picture while they were still in the rounds. Still have a couple more to go as you can see. All hand split with a couple wedges and my Fiskars X25. Took about 3 hours.I cut it yesterday and hauled it to the house. It was only about a block away, so it went fast......about 2.5 hours, as I had to clear a bit of brush to get at this ash tree that fell in the wind storm last summer.Anyhow, right now I'm enjoying a cold one. Here's the pix.......

post-7-138698184164_thumb.jpg

post-7-13869818417_thumb.jpg

post-7-138698184176_thumb.jpg

Mike, after watching your video, all I can say is I'm glad you had your britches on!!!!:lmao::lmao2: You looked like a rabbit humping your splitter!!!!!!:duh::lmao::lmao2: Sorry!!!!Anyhow, on a serious note, you're still a "pup" to me Mike!!! I'll be 48 in a couple months. I actually enjoy splitting wood. It's relaxing for me. I just pretend that what I'm striking is the current occupant of the house in DC!!!:wow:On another serious note, the "Fiskars splitting axe" is awesome. It's really light weight, and the rounds under about 12-14 inches break open with one hit usually. The larger rounds I break once, maybe twice with the wedges, and then go to town around them with the Fiskars. The Fiskars I have is the X25. It has I think a 30" handle. They make an X27 with a 36" handle also. This little bad boy is incredible.

• Owner

I can explain that movement... When I'm splitting firewood I use my right thigh to steady the piece on my side of the splitter while the piece away from me is thrown in the truck. Then with a bump of my thigh I shove the remaining piece back in the jaw. That save my back from letting the 2 halves hit the ground and pick them back up. After doing damage to my back in the mid 90's splitting wood by hand I welcomed the 20 ton really fast... But even then I still got to be smart and save my back from too many up's and down movements. So this thigh holding process was created. So far I've split wood for a few friends and they are absolutely shocked on how fast I can clear 1 cord... In the time lapse video that was roughly 1/3 of a cord I split...Trust me swollen disc or popping ribs out of place really do hurt... When I pop the rib out... I would lay on the floor to get some comfort but it would take both of my parent to pick me back up... I phyiscally couldn't do it...

Trust me swollen disc or popping ribs out of place really do hurt... When I pop the rib out... I would lay on the floor to get some comfort but it would take both of my parent to pick me back up... I phyiscally couldn't do it...

DEAR God, I know what you mean! They are no fun to experience. Haha, we better start a firewood sub-forum soon. Dorkweed, looks like your going to have a CAD soon. I hear them fiskars are great to use, but a splitter is gonna look real appealing to you soon if you are gonna go with firewood as your main source of heat. That thermostat on the wall can get tempting sometimes to just kick on the NG. Well, it looks like you got some good firewood in your area, but that only looks shy of a rick or face cord. Your gonna need more then that! Here is a vid you guys will enjoy!
  • Like 1

DEAR God, I know what you mean! They are no fun to experience. Haha, we better start a firewood sub-forum soon. Dorkweed, looks like your going to have a CAD soon. I hear them fiskars are great to use, but a splitter is gonna look real appealing to you soon if you are gonna go with firewood as your main source of heat. That thermostat on the wall can get tempting sometimes to just kick on the NG. Well, it looks like you got some good firewood in your area, but that only looks shy of a rick or face cord. Your gonna need more then that! Here is a vid you guys will enjoy!

Thanks for the links Hex. That guy is almost as good as I am!!!!:wow: He's a machine......actually better than a machine!!!!:smart: What's a CAD??!!!! Yeah, I figured it was a face, maybe face and a half. What I don't have pix of is the wood in my shed that I didn't burn in the POS fireplace unit in my house this winter, and the cord+ of wood in my back yard already split. I know I'll need more. Lot's of wood around here. In fact a bud of mine got me access to a place not far from me. I can cut and haul all I want/need. All the guy wants is for me to sign a waiver of liability. Good deal IMHO!!!:thumbup2:

Thanks for the links Hex. That guy is almost as good as I am!!!!:wow: He's a machine......actually better than a machine!!!!:smart:

What's a CAD??!!!!

Yeah, I figured it was a face, maybe face and a half. What I don't have pix of is the wood in my shed that I didn't burn in the POS fireplace unit in my house this winter, and the cord+ of wood in my back yard already split. I know I'll need more. Lot's of wood around here. In fact a bud of mine got me access to a place not far from me. I can cut and haul all I want/need. All the guy wants is for me to sign a waiver of liability. Good deal IMHO!!!:thumbup2:

CAD= Chainsaw ADdiction. You start getting into the firewood so much, you start buying saws for all sorts of stupid reasons. Never seem to serve much of its purpose, but its a chainsaw and thats all the reason you need!

Yeah, that definitely sounds like you have a great honey pot and hit the jackpot. I would be letting whoever that owns the land know how grateful I'am with some sort of gift here and there.

Get as much wood as you can too. Great aspect of security to know you can heat with your house for years when SHTF.

Hex, the chainsaw I've been using forever now it seems; my Dad bought back in the late '70's. It's a McCullock ProMac 610 with a 28" bar. With a sharp chain, it'll almost pull you over what you're cutting!!:smart: If anything, I need a smaller saw to be a bit more efficient. That big saw I have is great, but it's big and heavy and not suited for clearing limbs off fells so you can cut them up.I guess I am afflicted.............I'm already saying I need another saw!!!!:banghead::ahhh::cookoo: You got me!!!!:lmao::lmao2:

• Owner

I've got 2 chainsaws now... My Sthl 046 Magnum (26" bar) and the older Homelite "Pocket Knife" (16" bar). They both are kept in the trailer box. But the homelite is my small trail saw for the ATV and the Sthl is my bad boy "Screamin' Beaver" for falling and bucking... No I don't need another saw... I've got 2... So when the bind up the "Screamin' Beaver" I'll pull out the "Pocket knife" and work it free...Or if I'm sent on a Search and Rescue I know I'll have both saw in the trailer... So no biggy... :thumbup2:

Hahaha! SEE! The addiction takes it toll quick!My first saw was given to me. Its an old Mculloch. It has more bark than bite. Then I bought a Stihl 044 and a newer 30cc Mcculloch for limbing.The 044 is a screamer. She can eat some wood now after doing a piston and jug rebuild with a small tune-up and a new 20" bar and chain. I gotta be real careful with her, as she can pull me around like a large dog.

I've got 2 chainsaws now... My Sthl 046 Magnum (26" bar) and the older Homelite "Pocket Knife" (16" bar). They both are kept in the trailer box. But the homelite is my small trail saw for the ATV and the Sthl is my bad boy "Screamin' Beaver" for falling and bucking... No I don't need another saw... I've got 2... So when the bind up the "Screamin' Beaver" I'll pull out the "Pocket knife" and work it free... Or if I'm sent on a Search and Rescue I know I'll have both saw in the trailer... So no biggy... :thumbup2:

A pygmy beaver huh.