• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

long cranking after AIRDOG INSTALL

[TABLE=class: page, width: 100%, align: center] [TR] [TD] [TABLE=class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center] [TR] [TD=class: alt1, bgcolor: #F5F5FF]I would like to thank all that help me diagnose my hard starting ,I finally bought a fuel pressure gage Isspro ev2 electric and installed it. Last week I dropped the tank to see if the nuckleheads that did the install of the Airdog ll and found that they broke my sending unit and put it back in the tank ,and the holes that were supposed to be 1/2 or larger were only 1/4 inch if that so I used regular hose clamps instead of what air dog supplied fixed the broken sending unit bracket and put it back together ,I found out buy Cummins Dealer that whoever installed the Airdog did not adjust the fuel pressure to Cummins specs the had 25psi which could of damaged the VP44. I ended up getting a new VP44 from Diesel Fuel Injector Rebuild INC. in BAY CITY MICHIGAN ,THESE GUYS ARE VERY HELPFUL ,any way I installed it along with a cam sensor that was very accessible and it seems to be running like before ,THANKYOU ALL AGAIN::hyper::broke: [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

So, I wonder if it really was the vp44? Or was the truck being starved for fuel because of the small holes?

I never gave the holes much thought being mine has none. I dont remember the intructions telling me to drill any. The intructions on AD's sight call for them, but the picture shows an old style fuel basket with the holes in it and not the in tank basket. They are quite differant. The only time mine has been fuel starved is when i ran it out of fuel:doh:. I guess it could have been a problem but has not caused any in mine.

I really don't believe it was starving for fuel since I had nearly a full tank like at least 30 gallons in the tank,I do think it was the VP and I do believe that the shop that Installed the the AD over pressurized the the VP and caused the premature damage to the VP ,if the VP was going bad they just made it fail faster and the way they broke my sending unit and put it back just urks me I would not trust these guys again ,they may be good at what they do but they know when a PATSY walks in and trys to pull a scam . I am glad it fixed and I again have to thank you guys for the help and encouragement to tackle it I wrenched before on all my other trucks but nothing on a diesel .:wink:

thanks for replyin ,Yes, I know that I have to figure out which pump rebuilder/retailer is going to give me the better value and I agree with you on what each puts into there rebuilds is how long they last and time will only tell ,I did called airdog on Friday and basicly he gave me a test to do and I perfomed one of them and that was to pull the power to the pump and see what happens and the second was to pinch one of the other lines I cant remember which one it was something about air being sucked into the pump , but he made it clear that he only interested in making sure the airdog was working correct which is understandable ,there was another test to make sure there was no air leaks was to pull the suction line off the tank put it into another fuel can with diesel and try to start the vehical that way and see what happens I seen that I blue chips site , I checked the fittings on the airdog but its hard to tell what happened in the tank itself

figured i would throw my experience with Bluechip into the mix.....i ordered a pump and a day latter it crapped, no idea what happened or what went wrong, i gave him a call and told him what happened, he had a new pump to me in no time!! the man knows what he is talking about and is really good to work with. i was a little nervous ordering a part like this one on line, i wasnt sure if i would get a junk part and wind up loosing 1k or what, but he had me run a couple diagnostic checks to make sure it was a faulty pump, and backed his product....the new pump is a champ and Bluechip is the way to go, no doubt!!

Now that I have the VP installed yesterday I noticed that I have a little longer crank time then when I first installed it ,its been in the low 80s in Michigan ,I first noticed it in the morning when I went to start it, after the first start if I shut it down for 20 or 30 minutes it flips over fast could something be bleeding back ,I will continue to monitor this ,99% it flips over very fast .