• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What to do when Noob.

Recently picked up a 1999 Dodge 5.9L Turbo Dually. Good friend retiring gave me a great deal. It has 350k miles on it and as far as I know no lift pump,which I just learned about here when I signed up and I don't recall him saying anything about 2cycle which I learned here on my first day to. I know how to do quite a bit with engines of all sorts but I was wondering If I should or shouldn't have a garage do the 170k maintenance recommended i.e the trans work. I have a check engine light on which the said is the APPS. I have the Haynes and changing it out seem straight forward enough???Also ABS light comes on intermittently and I can see I need new shocks. No questions there just rambling off a work list.Did I mention this is my first experience with diesels despite being around mechanics for 25 years. Daunting, but seems like its going to be a fun challenge.

Welcome to the family here. If you are mechanicly inclined dont let a diesel scare you. they are still an internal combustion engine. Inside the block are alll the same parts. Fuel and air delivey are differant and there are no spark plugs. the basic operation is easy to grasp, just keep reading. Post the codes concerning the apps. you dont need to replace the whole apps and bellcrank assembly which is what the manual and Dodge will telll you. only the sensor needs to be replaced at less than half of what the whole assembly cost.A good lift pump needs to be looked at. Probably should be the first thing you do. then a FP gauge. it would be best to do those at the same time. Go to wally world and get some super tech 2 stroke and start using it at 1 oz. per gallon, that one is the easiest.Try to tackle one thing at a time so it does not get too complicated.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site! The lift pump can be on the side of the block by the fuel filter or in the tank. If the truck has a fuel pressure gauge what are the readings at idle and WOT. This bit of info can tell alot as to the potential health of your VP.As for the APPS, DO NOT buy it from the dealer! They are way over priced! A lot of us get a TIMBO unit. I don't have a link as to where to buy it at. Someone else will chime in!Not sure what your thinking as to the tranny. Drain the fluid, add new fluid, disconnect the front line of the tranny and start it up and let some of the old fluid be pushed out as well. Refill and check your level. A tranny flush with a machine is not recommended for these trannies!Good Luck!

• Like 1

Starting my weekend tomorrow morning so I will go under and see what the fuel system has. I had been told in my intro about the lift pump and gauges. I couldn't believe the difference the 2cycle made...I started my into thread on my first shift three days ago? and filled up on the way home. Amazing. I was just looking at another thread about cool down...I have been waiting 2min. normal no load driving. I am assuming EGT is exhaust gas temp?? but I am not sure. Come the summer I may be towing quite a bit and I don't want to mess this up. Is there a gauge for EGT I need to install??

Starting my weekend tomorrow morning so I will go under and see what the fuel system has. I had been told in my intro about the lift pump and gauges. I couldn't believe the difference the 2cycle made...I started my into thread on my first shift three days ago? and filled up on the way home. Amazing. I was just looking at another thread about cool down...I have been waiting 2min. normal no load driving. I am assuming EGT is exhaust gas temp?? but I am not sure. Come the summer I may be towing quite a bit and I don't want to mess this up. Is there a gauge for EGT I need to install??

you are right on egt and yes if you are going to tow you ought to have that gauge also. FP EGT and Transtemp since you are an auto. Boost pressure would be good to.
  • Like 1

Thank you all, its less daunting knowing I can pause and fall back on the site reference ideas. More so that I can read up before I head out to the garage. I know how diesels work from my power industry training but actually turning wrenches on them is just something I have never had to do. I have always been steam and Aero. Not the big stuff though I do smaller co-generation apps. Going to keep going through the site for Ideas...I have already seen a ton of good photos. .

WELCOME! :tease:

Your gonna like this place alot! Always seems to be someone on and can usually get pretty quick responses. Alot of people here are pretty down to earth, and no need to fear with the ol' use the search button rhetoric.

Cumminsforum.com is also a good place to go too if you have not done so. The more you can get feedback from a problem, the better. Considering it can sometimes be an emergency.

Firstly, spell cummins right! Its Cummins, not cummings! :thumbup2:

Secondly, if you have not done so, be sure to visit:

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/

^There is TONS of good info to get on the right track with the truck.

The guys have given you good solid info about the truck to start off with. Although, I will chime on two bits of VERY important info that could save you BIG time.

Considering the year range of your truck, you need to look into:

1. Checking to see if you have the infamous 53 block.

http://stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

2. Killer dowel pin.

Posted Image

See the bolt in the middle of the picture? Diagonally Up and left, there is that hole their. It has a hardened steel "pin" there that can come out and cause you to play the game of russian roulette.

If the pin comes out it can be CATASTROPHIC! Get the front of the engine opened up and see if it has been fixed.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/34-engine-system/106-kdp-repairtiming-cover-leaks

• Like 1

• Owner

Recently picked up a 1999 Dodge 5.9L Turbo Dually. Good friend retiring gave me a great deal. It has 350k miles on it and as far as I know no lift pump,which I just learned about here when I signed up and I don't recall him saying anything about 2cycle which I learned here on my first day to. I know how to do quite a bit with engines of all sorts but I was wondering If I should or shouldn't have a garage do the 170k maintenance recommended i.e the trans work. I have a check engine light on which the said is the APPS. I have the Haynes and changing it out seem straight forward enough??? Also ABS light comes on intermittently and I can see I need new shocks. No questions there just rambling off a work list. Did I mention this is my first experience with diesels despite being around mechanics for 25 years. Daunting, but seems like its going to be a fun challenge.

You can do all the maintenance yourself on the truck... There isn't anything you shouldn't be able to handle. As for the APPS sensor yeah it common failure part in would be best to get a Timbo's APPS. I'm running one and very easy to install and just works! As for the ABS light. Is the speedometer working coreectly? If so then you need to replace both front sensor. If not then replace the rear sensor. Pretty simple... But I do have a write up on the ABS here... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/23-brake-system/29-antilock-braking-system-abs Like Dripley said the engine is basically the same just doesn't have spark plugs... Compression ratio is much higher... Then the fuel is direct injected into the cup of the piston not the manifold.
  • Like 1