• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What is this noise? (video)

joepinder

I dont know why its asking for a password, I made the folder public but you should be able to click on the picture below and see it. Ya when I stick my ear to the the filter box it is louder. In the video I took the lid off the box ad you can really hear the noise when you stick your ear next to the intake tube. How would I go about diagnosing a damaged valve or seat? Pull the head or is there any easier way?

ok I can see it now. Yeah - sounds exactly as mine was - thats the only way I kinda thought it was probably that. So Im not a mechanic - and I tried everything to isolate where it was from including a stethoscope and that made no difference - too much noise - just it was MUCH louder from the CAI and kinda sounded like it was comming from the passenger side more (probably due to the cai echo) - I ended up taking it to a diesel mech I trusted and he took 1 listen to it and told me. They had to pull the head and get it decked and new valves. Not fun. I *think* he said the problem is if the valve was damaged enough or got worse it could drop to the piston - or pieces of it. I dont know how true that is - but it kinda makes sense if its cracked or damaged from heat. Anyway - unless you can pull the head yourself - probably have to find a mechanic you trust. You also have a CR so Id hate for you to have someone to pull it unless they also thought the same and were a mechanic you trusted. So start there. :thumbup2:

John, now you are scaring me. I first noticed the thumping in mine 9 years ago when i swaapped out to a K&N(easy guys its gone now). It was still making the noise when I swapped to the BHAF. It is a little more noticeable with the BHAF than the K&N. The sound has been constant thru the years and I have never given any thought to being any thing wrong. I take it the noise went away after rebuilding the head?

John, now you are scaring me. I first noticed the thumping in mine 9 years ago when i swaapped out to a K&N(easy guys its gone now). It was still making the noise when I swapped to the BHAF. It is a little more noticeable with the BHAF than the K&N. The sound has been constant thru the years and I have never given any thought to being any thing wrong. I take it the noise went away after rebuilding the head?

Correct now its gone. Remember two important things 1) I am not a mechanic 2) I am trying to give my thoughts based on a video sound Having said that - the sound is identical. Kinda sounded more like a heavy "ticking" from in the cab but as soon as you put your ear to the CAI filter its more like a thud. So can only tell you what happened on mine and what the fix was. Cost me around $1000 with head work and new valves and labor and head gasket from meory. Wish I had upgraded my springs and headtsuds at that time. I dont know how serious it was/is - but I trusted my mechanic (I had to drive 1.5 hours each way to see him) and he diagnosed straight away. When I came back it was fixed. I have no idea if valves could get so badly damaged they fell into the piston - but I dont see why not if they are damaged. Id say take the truck to a trusted diesel mechanic and ask them if it could be burned/damaged valves or valve seats. I remmeber W&F saying in some years there are no valve seats or something. :thumbup2:
  • Like 1

Correct now its gone. Remember two important things 1) I am not a mechanic 2) I am trying to give my thoughts based on a video sound Having said that - the sound is identical. Kinda sounded more like a heavy "ticking" from in the cab but as soon as you put your ear to the CAI filter its more like a thud. So can only tell you what happened on mine and what the fix was. Cost me around $1000 with head work and new valves and labor and head gasket from meory. Wish I had upgraded my springs and headtsuds at that time. I dont know how serious it was/is - but I trusted my mechanic (I had to drive 1.5 hours each way to see him) and he diagnosed straight away. When I came back it was fixed. I have no idea if valves could get so badly damaged they fell into the piston - but I dont see why not if they are damaged. Id say take the truck to a trusted diesel mechanic and ask them if it could be burned/damaged valves or valve seats. I remmeber W&F saying in some years there are no valve seats or something. :thumbup2:

I appreciate what you are saying and dont plan to run out and have my head pulled. I think after 9 years of knowing to sound is there and apparently no ill effects, I am going to live with it for 9 more.:pray:

Dang, I was hoping no one would say anything like that. I was hoping for something more along the lines of "thats the sound the super ulta mega high output motor makes, those are rare, youre a lucky sob." Well, I really hope this is not my problem. Right now I'm suspecting (hoping) it's my water pump. The pulley seems to have some play in it. I'm gonna replace it as soon as I have a chance and pray that cures the sound. I'm not scared to pull the head and inspect it but I just dont have the cash right now to deal with it.

• 9 months later...

excellent walkthough on valve lash adjustment took my truck to school and had some people look at it that was the first thing they suggested i do but most of them thought its a valve near the passenger side rear going to have to take it in and have them help me look when I get back to school from military training. If I have to do a rebuild is there recommendations as far as what I should replace while I'm at it the truck has 180k seems to run fine and gets between 22-26 mpg on my 50 mile drive to school with a mix of highway/city traffic into denver as far as I know the truck is stock but im sure it used to have an aftermarket air intake and programmer it has a BD exhaust manifold that looks new.

• 1 month later...

On one of the other web site for Dodge there was some one that had something about this. I think they said they adj the timing gear for the fuel pump by pulling and changing where the gear set on the shaft it had to much slack. GOOD LUCK Finding it.IT could had been on TDR or Dodge Cummins